Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in Lakewood/Golden/Morrison area for about 15 years. Been good but tired of the city. Looking at the west side of the state for a possible move in a few years with a little less snow to shovel and a bit warmer close to hunting and fishing. But don't know much about that part of the state, other than Granby and Walden which are too cold. What do you like?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hotchkiss or Cedaredge are nice, New Castle/Silt/Rifle all still have a nice small town feel. I don't think much of Grand Junction, lots of crime for such a small city. Deltas ok, Montrose is about the same as Grand Junction, a little better. Anywhere over here would be better then the front range in my opinion, I don't know how all you city folk handle it over there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the deal with Rifle/Glenwood Springs area it has the overflow from the ski industry?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
We try to get out to Fruita and Grand Junction a couple of times a year to Mountain Bike..If that's your thing, it's great....Moab is also close by..I think golfing may be good in Junction too.

I like Montrose. Good climate near the San Juans. Durango..beautiful place..not too big..not too small. Good fishing within reasonable driving distances. Another great place to bike..along with Cortez on up the road..Cortez would be too small to live in for my tastes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
We moved to Montrose in 2003. While it has grown some since then it still is a nice place with lots of things to do....quick access to lakes, streams, mountains, hiking, skiing etc. Delta, Cedaredge, Hotchkiss and Paonia are okay as well. All part of the Uncompahgre Valley atmosphere. If you are wanting to be a bit closer to the mountains but somewhat close to a city you might think about Ridgway. Ridgway Rervoir is nearby and has somewhat good fishing if you don't mind mercury laden fish.

If you don't like snow or cold then stay away from Gunnison. During the winter it can be brutal with minus temperatures for weeks. Can't understand why they ever located Western State University there - although there something to be said for living close to Blue Mesa Reservoir with what used to be good laker, koke, and trout fishing ----and now apparently perch to boot.

Have to agree that Grand Jucntion wouldn't be at the top of my list of places to live but it could be worse - you could locate to Rangely which is definitely part of the western slope but most of us don't claim it as part of the state as it's in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts