Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The Western Slope is pretty big, what area are you looking for.

Here are a couple:
Highline Lake
Rifle Gap
Connected Lakes
Shadow Lake
Endangered Lake
Juniata
Jerry Creek
Crawford
Echo Canyon
Harvey

... I know I left some out, maybe some of those that live on the western slope can fill in some more.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the feedback. I am basically looking for new places in Colorado to fish Largemouths. I have a 16 ft tracker with a 40 hp motor that I would like to use. The only constant LM fishing I have done in Co is Quincy. I have heard about Carter but not been there. Looking for opertunities with in the state even if it is on the western slope.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Rio blanco and mcphee also.
Don't fish rifle for largemouth- hardly any. It has some decent smallmouth though.
Jerry Creek Reservoirs are best for numbers...I've seriously had 100 bass days here before. They usually are pretty small though, but last year I caught some big ones up to 5#. Not many but I caught them. Most were 10-15". 2004 caught a fair amount of teeny 5-6". 05 was unprecidented for largemouth there. Bluegill though, are going downhill and fast. With belly boats they are going to be finished within a few years. They will just be stunted...ughhh...kills me to think that might happen.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
McFish-I know you said largemouth but Navajo has the best smallmouth fishing in the state. Gotta go down to the NM side but its worth the boat ride. ::)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
kirbydog said:
McFish-I know you said largemouth but Navajo has the best smallmouth fishing in the state. Gotta go down to the NM side but its worth the boat ride. ::)
well, not in the state. The yampa is...Maybe navajo is the best lake for smallmouth though.
You could put a 16 ft boat in mcphee. I've caught smallmouth to 18" in there and seen some nice largemouth. Also, if bass fishing is tough, you can always troll for kokanee salmon. Good luck.

M

·
0 Posts
if your goin all the way to navajo, take your fly stuff and fish the tailwaters, best trout fishing ever...maybe not but close...navajo fishing sucked when we went, water was all flooded out and stuff, it was 4th of july and the water was way high

1 - 8 of 8 Posts