Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Man, that would be really hard to swallow for the victim. The worst part I think, if it's true, is that the judge basically told him to get over it. Terrible.

But it sounds like the choices were to either TRY to get the guy a felony conviction and maybe fail, or offer this plea deal and have him be able to pay the victim restitution (because he can keep his job).

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
DozerF350 said:
Man, that would be really hard to swallow for the victim. The worst part I think, if it's true, is that the judge basically told him to get over it. Terrible.

But it sounds like the choices were to either TRY to get the guy a felony conviction and maybe fail, or offer this plea deal and have him be able to pay the victim restitution (because he can keep his job).
I am willing to bet this D-nozzle has plenty of assets with which to pay restitution regardless of whether he retained his job. What a joke.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
DozerF350 said:

I am willing to bet this D-nozzle has plenty of assets with which to pay restitution regardless of whether he retained his job. What a joke.
That's true. After reading the article a little closer, he blamed falling asleep on the new car smell of his 2010 Mercedes???? That makes me sick.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only good news in this whole scenario is that the victim has hired a very good lawyer, so there is a high likelihood he will be compensated for his injuries. However, it won't be from "restitution" which is a joke in most cases. It will be from a settlement or judgment in a civil suit.

This is a clear case of preferential treatment based on wealth and prominence. It just stinks. :mad:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ive done a few focus groups for some lawyers on cases kind of like this. And their drive for the people in the group is to have them act? play? think? like a juror in a civil suit?. And just with what I read in that article, I'd have no problem throwing the fiscal boot at this guy and his insurance agency. The money this man can/will get would/could set him for life. And that's just on the side of any medical payments possible in the future.

As for the verdict... He should have got some time. I hope he screws up and violates his probation, the courts shouldn't worry about this guys job, or his ability to pay. The civil suit that's going to happen is going to be paid mostly by his insurance company.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
This deal stinks to high heaven.
Heaven and GFYODF in the same post?? Wow......

D.J.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I have severe sleep apnea...I can fall asleep faster than you can say NoDoz...ask Slimer's wife (no not that way you perverts) from Festivus...I dozed out twice at the table...she couldnt believe it...sleep apnea at its finest...I only remember one that could of been bad...I was coming up wadsworth going south and snoozed right through the Ken Caryl intersection on a red light...cars honking as I speed through the other side untouched by the grace of God...I remember coming up the hill and coming out the other side on top...never fall asleep while watching TV eating Peanut M&Ms...dont ask me how I know...when I went for my sleep study they turned out the lights and showed a video...it was 9 am...the other guy in there was out and sleeping/snoring a second after the lights went out...he was a lot worse off than me...I dozed once in a meeting and almost got fired for it...it happens really sudden...just wham...asleep...might be another reason for the zzzzzzzzzzman title...

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Z, that sounds like Narcolepsy....My grandfather had that, he'd doze off while playing cards all the time, and just wake up 5-10 minutes later.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Vail is a really a good place to commit crimes heck you really dont get in trouble. What surprises me is yea this guys going to get money but a felony charge has alot to do with the civil suit. This guys lawyer is first going after policy limit for his auto insur and I can't imagine the insurance company won't pay it due to the pubilicity of this case. However the misdemeanor might give them enough ammo to offer less then the policy. Also since the DA gave him a misdemeanor his chances of seeking punitive damages probably won't happen.

Wasnt the victim a doctor from NY so I doubt money is a driving factor. He probably just wanted the guy to get a felony for being a douche and leaving the scene. How long was it befor he was picked up the driver. wonder if he got out of there because he was drinking.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
unless you went to a doctor and he tested you and found outherwise, it sounds like that is def. not sleep apnea... that's narcolepsy.

sleep apnea is when you quit breathing during your sleep. My room-mate chris has narcolepsy, and we always have to b*tchslap him when he falls asleep when we are in conversation. he don't even know it half the time.
Nope...sleep apnea...went and had a sleep study...yep you quit breathing when you have it...you relax and if you have excessive amounts of adnoids/tonsils/throat tissue when you relax and fall asleep your airway gets blocked and you stop breathing and your brain says hey dummy you stopped breathing and wakes you up...not physically wide awake but awake...you never get to deep sleep so you never get any rest...I forget when I had the sleep study how many time times during the night my system went through that routine...I want to say it was over a 100...well guess what if you dont get deep restful sleep your body lowers it metabolism and basically tries to shut down even when you are awake and you become tired enough eventially that you can fall asleep instantly...it aint narcolepsy...I would guess your friend probably has sleep apnea...there are tons of people that have it and dont realize it...snorers, thick necked, overweight people that have blocked airways when they sleep and never get to deep sleep...I have a cpap machine that I use that has an mask and an air tupe to basically fill your head and lungs with positive air pressure to keep your airway open when you sleep and you can get to deep sleep...it is the difference between night and day for me...but sometimes it makes my sinuses crazy and I have to get up in the middle of the night and clear my head (and post) and go back to bed...I havent been on it much in the last week due to a bad head cold and sore throat...that is when I really notice it...that is what last Saturday night was with slimer's wife at the table when I just dozed out a couple of times...lack of being on my cpap machine...Ed here has one two and he will tell you how much different you feel when you get a good nights rest on it...so nope just cuz you can fall asleep in the blink of an eye doesnt mean it is narcolepsy...most of the time it is just a biproduct of sleep apnea...

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
zman said:
Ed here has one two and he will tell you how much different you feel when you get a good nights rest on it...so nope just cuz you can fall asleep in the blink of an eye doesnt mean it is narcolepsy...most of the time it is just a biproduct of sleep apnea...
I had my study done two and a half years ago. It was a split night study (they monitor you without a CPAP the first half of the night and with a CPAP the second half of the night). The last four hours of sleep I got that night were the best hours of sleep I had in years and even after being connected to all the wires and monitors at night, I was not tired the day I got out of the study. I've dozed off in a couple of places as well but never any near misses (that I know of).

I decided to see a different sleep doc at Nat'l Jewish this summer - he teaches most of the doctors that want to get board certified in this area. I brought in the report from my machine - he was shocked to see that I actually use it 8 hours per night, every night. He said most people that have sleep apnea aren't compliant with the treatment and even if they are, they only use it a couple of hours per night.

I'm trying to get off the machine. I've been told that if I lost weight, I would have a good chance, but no guarantees. As of this morning, I'm down 84 lbs. I have a follow up appointment in January and hopefully I'll get another study done. I have another 30lbs or so to lose before I'll be happy.

What's funny is if I'm at a meeting at work, after about 5 minutes, I can look around the room and I can point out people that probably have it and don't even know it. One of those folks is a colleague of mine that doesn't want to have the study done even though he knows he has sleep problems.

Sleep apnea is no B.S. - it's known to cause everything from headaches to high blood pressure and cholesterol, to pulmonary hypertension and death.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What's funny is if I'm at a meeting at work, after about 5 minutes, I can look around the room and I can point out people that probably have it and don't even know it. One of those folks is a colleague of mine that doesn't want to have the study done even though he knows he has sleep problems.
Dam TG you sound just like that guy I know. I think they do hypnosis during those sleep studies cause you guys all sound alike ::)

Sleep apnea is no B.S. - it's known to cause everything from headaches to high blood pressure and cholesterol, to pulmonary hypertension and death.
Yup it keeps the tooth fairy away as well :'(

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Yup it keeps the tooth fairy away as well :'(
I've for gotten. Where did you get your medical degree, XRAP UNREPENTANT SINNER?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts