Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am from MN and made the move to CO. Back home I used fathead minnows/crappie minnows to catch my fish. Is this doable here, or do I need to buy worms? Not sure what I will be targeting, probably trout, pike, walleye, etc. Place to be determined.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
if you go to the hills make sure your minnows are dead over so high you can't use live minnows (i don't use minnows) if you go for salmon at Dillon use fresh shrimp. if you go for lakers try sucker meat.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
coloradojaguar said:
if you go to the hills make sure your minnows are dead over so high you can't use live minnows (i don't use minnows) if you go for salmon at Dillon use fresh shrimp. if you go for lakers try sucker meat.
Too add onto what CO Jaguar said... Minnows are fine as long as the body of water is less than 7,000' in elevation and on the East side of the divide(accept Navajo Lake)..

"a. Restrictions on Live Fish Used as Bait.
The use of, or possession of live fish for use as bait is prohibited in the following waters:
1 All waters east of the Continental Divide above 7,000 feet elevation
2. The Arkansas River above Parkdale – Fremont and Chaffee counties
3. Watson Lake - Larimer County
4. All waters west of the Continental Divide, except in Navajo Reservoir.
b. All live baitfish acquired from a commercial source and transported by anglers must at all times be accompanied by a receipt from the source."

For catching trout I would recommend using Meal Worms, Wax Worms, or Night crawlers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome to Colorado mas. Like the two previous posters said on the live bait, don't worry you won't miss it much. Most of the good walleye lakes don't freeze very reliably and most of the rest of the fish caught don't seem to mind dead bait and/or lures. I have spent most of my time ice fishing in the mountains at Granby, Antero and the cursed 11 Mile Reservoir :mad:.
You'll find that the ice fisher people here are just as friendly and serious as the ones back in Mn. The good thing is that there aren't nearly as many here(Antero notwithstanding). One odd thing that I have discovered here is that people actually try to catch Northerns here and they are actually difficult to find.
Check out the forum for finding a ride/looking for a partner, the people on this forum are the nicest people your likely to meet in this state.

Adam

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
You can use waterdogs above 7k feet, but I think thats about it for aquatic species.

NO live bait on the west slope, but worms are fine.

As for ice fishing, the typical mealworms and waxworms work great for panfish including trout.

Lakes like the dillon inlet and coves in most lakes will freeze in early december or even late november. Come January, it's game on.

The deep lakes like Granby and Twin take a bit longer to freeze, but once they got a solid dome on em they're good to go.

The one lake I'd be weary of is Gross. That lake didn't freeze but for one weekend or so 2 years ago, and the water levels change all the time. I'm not a big fan of that lake, but love me most other lakes in the high plains.

Welcome.

Rob

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For trout I use little pieces of nightcrawler or maggots, same for perch, crappie or bluegills. However nothing works as good for panfish as an eyeball. I usually switch to eyeballs right after the first perch hits the ice. For lake trout, FRESH cut sucker or anchovies are the way to go. For pike, nothing beats a whole anchovy fished dead on a tip up.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
gross scares the eff out of me...
I worked with a guy that walked out on Gross years ago, drilled a hole, and found the water level several feet below the ice. I'll never ice fish that lake!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
i hear this rumor so many times each year it makes me laugh that people actually believe it. been fishing gross for about ten years and have never seen the water like that. nor have i seen it do that at green mountain or any other lake for that matter.if you go to gross during the season and theyve let water out the ice will crack and go back down to the waterline.think about it there is no rebar or anything to structurally hold the ice above the water. at least not for any extended amount of time. no reason to fear gross.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Weird Al Yankafish said:
Jörmungandr said:
gross scares the eff out of me...
I worked with a guy that walked out on Gross years ago, drilled a hole, and found the water level several feet below the ice. I'll never ice fish that lake!
It is largely a myth and is an excuse used by water utilities to ban ice fishing on some lakes(i.e. Spinney, Mongtomery, Rampart). For this to happen you pretty much have to empty 75% of the lake in a day. Blue Mesa's water level fluctuates as much as 30 feet during the ice season and I've never seen it happen. It's possible in theory but VERY rare and requires nearly draining the lake.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Mas shoot me a PM if you want. I live in Florissant by Antero and Elevenmile. Can help you out this winter if you want. As far as bait, waxworms, PowerBait, nightcrawlers, or mealworms. Always use Powerbait or YUM scent.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
All of the above. Plus Gulp Alive jarred baits. Word to the wise: if you chew, wear gloves or use tongs, hemos, whatever, to bait hooks with - otherwise that stuff will be in your mouth for the rest of the day. Also, take some good baby wipes or wet wipes - that scent is OVERWHELMING after a while and not what you want to smell on your hands for the rest of the day.

But, hey, the fish like 'em! Maggots, waxworms, leeches, fish fry. All go great on a hook. And keep the liquid - you can dip your other plastics in there too.

Other scents we swear by on natural baits are Eagle Claw Nitro Grease (you can get the salmon egg color/scent at the Eagle Claw Country Store at I-70 and Colorado Blvd), and Eagle Claw Trout Gravy - they also do a Crappie Gravy and Walleye Gravy too. One tip on the Gravy - it's about the consistency of corn oil, but can leak from the squeeze bottle - double bag in ziploc bags and keep upright in your tackle bag.

Oh, and don't drive your car out on the ice unless it's Wolford or Twin Lakes. Anywhere else, everybody can *tell* you're not from Colorado, and park ranger will ask you to move your vehicle! (Hubby did this years ago at Blue Mesa - he's from Wisconsin. Nuff said!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts