Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What battery does everyone use to run their accessories?(ie: GPS, Sonar, Pumps, Lights. etc etc etc) The cranking batt or the batterys from the trolling motor; deep cycle??? Or a stand alone?

Thank you

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
I use an isolated deep cycle (Interstate) battery. Purchased the isolater from Hellroaring Technologies http://www.hellroaring.com/. Have it set up so that the cranking battery charges first, then the isolated battery charges. Cranking battery is connected to motor and isolated battery is connected to everything else. With this system, the isolator also provides a boost when your cranking battery goes down.

When I troll at the lowest speed, the engine isn't turning fast enough to generate a charge through the alternator. At that speed, the cranking battery discharges because the alternator can't keep up. This was the best alternative I could find.

L

·
0 Posts
Isolating a battery is a good system for the scenario Mr. Ed describes. My motorhome does the same thing between the engine starter battery and the coach deepcycles. If the engine starter battery is too low to start the engine the deep cycles wil supply enough juice momentarily to start the engine.

I never thought of a system like that on the boat. I've never killed my starter battery but if I did on occasion, I would look into a system like that.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
One problem with having your electronics on the starting battery is voltage drop when you crank the motor - it causes my fishfinder/gps to drop out. Lowrance (or Minnkota - I forgot who) will send you a filter to clean up the current fluctation caused by electric maximizer trolling motors if you want to put electronics on your trolling batteries.

My new set up is to have my kicker charge the house battery, and run all electonics from that battery. Starting battery is dedicated the big motor and bilge pump. And a Perko battery switch is there to switch the main motor to either battery, or both should the need arise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts