Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the ice season has begun and as usual it is time to spool up the reels and get into the action.

With all the new lines coming out each year; its always interesting to hear each person's viewpoint on what type of lines they prefer and why.

I'm going to be using Seaguar AbrazX Ice on a few rods and Suffix Ice Braid with Ice Magic leaders on a few others.

Why Seaguar? Its all I use for open water and I haven't had issues with any of there lines. I used AbrazX Ice last season with zero problems.

So why switch?
A. Seaguar is pricey.
B. I like to try new ****.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I think a lot of the expensive ice line hype is just that, hype. I've never used line specifically for ice fishing and I've never bought anything more pricey than trilene big game and I've done just fine. I do use flouro leaders though. With that said, I might buy some seaguar flouro to help me with my quest to get a pig laker. Fordo says the big old fish are spooky and I believe him. They don't get that big for no reason.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I'm boring and generally agree with Whompus on the hype...I use good old Stren, but I am religious about keeping it fresh.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Trilene xl and Nano with 100% floro for leaders...nope doesnt freeze up...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think a lot of the expensive ice line hype is just that, hype. I've never used line specifically for ice fishing and I've never bought anything more pricey than trilene big game and I've done just fine. I do use flouro leaders though. With that said, I might buy some seaguar flouro to help me with my quest to get a pig laker. Fordo says the big old fish are spooky and I believe him. They don't get that big for no reason.
in my opinion flouro sucks for ice, it gets stiff and brittlle, And i agree, pricey lines can be so over rated. I have had awesome luck with Berkley Solutions 4 and 6 pound mono to trick bigger browns, and 8 or 10 pound mono to trick the bigger lakers. I do however like to use about 6 feet of Rio power flex for a leader in 3x, 4x and 5x.

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
I use Suffix 832 6 or 10lb braid with a 10-12lb P-line floro leader. This is the same setup on my open water walleye //big trout rods 'cause I use the same reels on my ice rods.

i caught all those pig perch last year on this same setup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2-6 lb Fluoro, usually P-Line. I have tried the micro ice and a few other ones. I agree that "ice line" is just a smaller roll for more $. I buy large rolls of P-line and use as needed.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Braid is very visible under water, but a preferred line type for ice fishing due to strength and low memory.
Thanks. I like the idea of low memory, I usually set my drag light and pull line off my reel into the water when ice fishing to get rid of memory coils and make it easier to see light bites but it is a pain when fishing deep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts