Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. What depths do you usually catch most of your rainbows? At vega usually around 15 feet. Trout seem to suspend a lot though. It seems I am reading people are catching them at 15 feet at elevenmile as well.
What is your go to depth for rainbows?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I catch rainbows over a variety of depths, but mostly in less than about 25 FOW.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Soon, I'll be following sonar, too. Just 6 more days 'til x-mas, and I've already built my whole icefishing setup for it. Just need to mount the sonar in the box, and I'm good to go.

Now, if I could just win a snowmobile in some raffle, I'd mount some ski's on a lazybow, and fish from a recliner.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the vex helps a lot; rainbows suspend a lot, especially the smaller ones. However last weekend at vega I caught a 16" that was in 2 feet under the ice in like 15 fow. Ya never know where rainbows will be. gotta love it!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Soon, I'll be following sonar, too.  Just 6 more days 'til x-mas, and I've already built my whole icefishing setup for it.  Just need to mount the sonar in the box, and I'm good to go.

Now, if I could just win a snowmobile in some raffle, I'd mount some ski's on a lazybow, and fish from a recliner.
I hope you realize Cutt, that's just gonna put you one step closer to using the "dreaded power auger", stick to your principles man!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a power auger - drill/driver and a hand auger blade. I just don't have anything against hand augers, either.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the only place i have really ever iced is granby. where we fish there are rocks. we drill holes and fish 10-25 feet of water in teh morning then as teh strikes begin to get slow we move deeper. at about 35 to 40 ft we lose the rainbows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
usely at the gap it 6 to 20 feet. But as posted earlier the vex leads the way. I haven't been to Vega in years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts