Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my girlfriend into fishing and to keep her interested I was thinking of having her focus on Bluegill, sunfish, and crappie. What type of tackle would I need to get her? She has a nice rod and reel but no tackle. We are in ft.collins mainly fishing the River bend ponds and a trip next week to Boyd lake. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you. Lonny

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
well for those fish .... the universal bait(worms) always work dandy, but minnows under a bobber, or a small mister twister under a bobber too. one that really works well(on tv) is a maribou jig tipped with a minnow under a bobber for crappie.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
get her some tippit (used for fly fishing) or some real light line. tie that to whatever she has on her set up. get some weighted bobbers (so she can cast further). about 2/3 feet down tie a hare's ear beaded nymph fly. have her reel in real slow. she'll catch pan fish all day long. no mess, no ewww worms, no baitin hooks for her. ;) you may want to pinch the barb down (easier to get those smaller fish off. also try scud flys, but give em a little time to sink.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would reccommend tiny jigs with some sort of scented plastic on it. Berkely has a huge line of trout craws....grubs and terrestrials that really work. Bluegills and other sunfish will hammer them all day. While jigs are not the greatest around underwater vege's, they give you the ability to fish deep or shallow all depending on how you reel it in....

Pondfisher

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anything.

I know this is vague but I am serious. The time of year plays a role for them all, but start her on gills.

I got my daughter hooked by starting with a fish (bluegills) that is easier to catch with a rod and reel then getting feeding fish in a pet store. The key is to allow them to have fun. For example when I took my little girl (three at the time) out for the first time to try out her Princess rod I asked her what SHE wanted to use. She chose a 3" Mister Twister minnow and I put it under a bobber (a bobber is a plus for newbies). In seconds down it goes.

After her excitment was peaked from consistant hits, but no hook sets, I suggested she try a worm. The instant the rig hits the water the bobber goes under. A gill. Same worm next cast ...a gill...same worm next cast a 10" smallmouth.

The thing with bluegill is that they are aggresive and curious. If you can find a nice pocket of them it can take no more then a bare hook or a 1/4" piece of worm to get them fired up and hitting. An excellent starter fish in my opinion.

I can give you no specifics for your area but it is fairly rinse and repeat. Make sure SHE has fun and stays involved...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Kajitan said:
I got my daughter hooked by starting with a fish (bluegills) that is easier to catch with a rod and reel then getting feeding fish in a pet store.
I've been set up, since the age of three no less, by my parents and grandparents. Yikes!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The thing with bluegill is that they are aggresive and curious. If you can find a nice pocket of them it can take no more then a bare hook or a 1/4" piece of worm to get them fired up and hitting. An excellent starter fish in my opinion.
Starter fish? Heck, they're still one of my favorite fish. I love going out to Pella with a light flyrod for a great morning of fishing (even when those giant bass won't bite). I said it before and I'll say it again: gram for gram, it's the hardest fighting fish there is. They jump, dive, go on long runs for as long as you care to play with them. They're God's gift to fisherman. Now, if we could get then all to grow to around a foot long.....

Besides, they are the one fish that can consistently entertain my 8 year old girl, and for that I am eternally grateful to the bluegill

·
Registered
238 Posts
I must admit that while the bass spawn is currently in progress in my favorite bass ponds......blugill and all the other small sunfish have really been entertaining. The key for me is fishing for them with light line...the lighter the better. Those little (and occasional big guys) put up a terrific fight for their size. And when fishing for them it is always a crap shoot....will I pull in a crappie,,,,blugill....green sunfish...rock bass....Yes they are usually easy to catch but hey...fun is fun....

·
Registered
382 Posts
over at Riverbend a small fly fishing foam spider gets the sunfish and bluegill into a frenzy, she'll love watching them hit the surface goin at the spider. Crappie i've used panther martin spinners, small grubs (don't have to be tipped) under a bobber.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
minnow under a bobber or small white doll fly with a minnow for crappie and blue gill love a kernel of korn , also grasshoppers. pick up the new "Colorado fishing and hunting" magazine at your local 7-11 and check out page 36 , Big Thompson ponds. The shore fisherman Eric Allee always has the inside scoop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts