Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thanks to EPC I bought his Jon Boat and now I need to put what I need in it to be legal. Its a 14 ft with a 40 lb troller

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If electric only you don't have to have a fire extinguisher, but....

In addition to the above post:
throw cushion
Oar/paddle

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
You don't need a throwable since it's only 14 feet long. Fish/depth finder would be good. Got an idea from fishinphil today, a portable pump that kicks on when it gets water isn't a bad idea either. Like $20 from wally world and they hook up directly to your battery.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the paddle and the fishfinder, life vests, air horn, getting the battery this weekend and lights (gotta do night fishing). Now all I have to do is find my heavier rods and reels. Been doing the UL stuff for so long gonna need to up size again.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Bailing bucket will help handle recycled coffee.
I can double as a drift sock to slow you down going down wind.
Since you won't be able to power load the boat on a trailer, a good boat hook is real handy. Mooring lines?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope on the cooler mention yet found a good sized flat top one for the boy to sit on when we have more than just us two. making a cart for it this weekend to help transport it to the lake so I don't have to drag it ( son is turning * on Monday and still a little heavy for him to lift). got a good rope and a hook in the middle of my bed of my truck to pull it in with.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok a side note how long do you think a deep cycle battery will last with a little wind and such with a 40 lb minnkota. would a battery guage be a good idea to have and how low can I run it and still move

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
discloco said:
Might I suggest an extra battery. Best insurance policy for those windy days.
unfortunately i am scrounging for the money for the one battery (Wife gave me a limit and im at it about now).

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
If you want a 2nd battery send me a PM. I have a 4 year old battery that I replaced out of my boat because I thought it was dead. I got it home and put it on a charger and it seems fine.

I'm in West Arvada near the Westwoods Golf Course.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That extra battery will be worth its weight in gold (as will an oar or two) when the trolling is good and your primary battery dies. A long handled net comes in handy too...

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
40 lb and 10 foot boat should move pretty good. How big is the battery you are getting? I have a group 29 battery that I can get up to 8 hours of continuous power from with it on 2-3 speed, 4 - 5 will last 2 hours to 3.5 or 4 (guessing on the last one). Anchoring isn't all that fun, but on the windy days that you don't want to use all your battery in half the time, its a great option.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
an
SLAYERFISH said:
FAITH. You need FAITH. Oh, and some onions won't hurt- :D
And much calmer winds than what we've had the past couple of days. just looked at the forecast for the weekend and there calling for wind and rain and snow. that sucks as the wife and daughter are gone for the weekend and it was going to be a guy weekend for Mck and I but i don't know now.

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
coloradojaguar said:
an
SLAYERFISH said:
FAITH. You need FAITH. Oh, and some onions won't hurt- :D
And much calmer winds than what we've had the past couple of days. just looked at the forecast for the weekend and there calling for wind and rain and snow. that sucks as the wife and daughter are gone for the weekend and it was going to be a guy weekend for Mck and I but i don't know now.
Guys with faith and onions aren't afraid of a little rain and wind and snow? :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have lots of Faith and some massive onions from the garden that would make a skunk cry. but I also have a 7 ( no make that 8 year old as of today). he is a super trooper in the cold but kind of like dad doesn't really like combat fishing. Especially first time out would like some decent weather.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts