Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm done with fly fishing for good now. I won't try again. It's where I have the most experience in fishing Colorado. Anytime I tried lakes I just used Pistol Pete's. They work ok but not all the time.

I've lost interest in Cottonwood Lake and Wrights Lake. The washboard dirt road going to Cottonwood drives me nuts and wrecks my bum back. Now that the road to the Taylor is paved it's a nice smooth drive. As is the drive to Clear Creek Reservoir. Those will be my fishing spots with Clear Creek fished most of the time. It's only 14 miles from me. I think both places have a chance to get some bigger fish.

So, I need the experience from you trout bums. What should I buy to use besides Pistol Pete's and Panther Martins? I might even buy a tackle box. They're always a joke to fly fishermen. I guess i'm the joke now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I generally use any of the following when I spin fish for trout (usually around 1/8 oz)...
  • Kastmasters
  • Thomas Bouyant Spoons
  • Krocodile Spoons (especially red/white stripe)
  • Rooster Tail Spinners
  • Blue Fox Vibrax Spinners
  • Blue Fox Vibrax Minnow Spin
  • Rapalas / Rebel Minnows (the small, jointed ones)
  • Jig head with a small plastic
I like to keep bonnets on my trebles to avoid tangles in the tackle box.

·
Registered
16,504 Posts
Gold bouyants 1/6 or 1/4 oz. silver/orange or gold kastys 1/4 oz. crocs gold with red stripe. 1/4 oz. Jig them up let them sink. Reel and stop let them flutter down is especially deadly. Reel and stop. Reel and stop. They kill it on the drop. DONT simply cast and reel them in. **** spinners. Although spinners are ok if you jig them. Good luck Practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to Clear Creek on a Holiday weekend is a really bad idea.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't like the all silver kasty or any other color you didn't mention? I wouldn't mind concentrating on kasty's they cast so good and last forever. I'd like to get away from the Pistol Pete's because the long leader is a pain to cast.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't like the all silver kasty or any other color you didn't mention? I wouldn't mind concentrating on kasty's they cast so good and last forever. I'd like to get away from the Pistol Pete's because the long leader is a pain to cast.
I think it is good to have a variety of Kastmaster colors especially in the 1/4oz. The all silver color catches fish (they all catch fish), but you will inevitebly find a few that become your confidence colors. I also agree with Slayer on the stop and go retrieve. Every once in a while they want a steady retrieve, but probably 95 percent of the time they do want the stop and go retrieve.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, i'll try everything. I actually put a lot of action on the Pistol Pete's too. I fished a lot with Guy Montera and he showed me how to fish them. I just prefer a short or no leader setup. I assume a swivel isn't needed with a kasty since there's no spinning? What's the best way to hook them up?

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since spinning is my only fishing now I need to treat myself to a better reel. The President is a nice reel for the money but i'll keep it for a backup. Once I sell the fly rod and stuff or get the refund from Simms for the waders i'm going to buy a Shimano Stradic FL reel. It gets really good reviews and seems like a bargain for $200. I'm undecided about the 2500 or 3000 size. I'll stay with the HMG 7'6" ML rod and 10lb Super Slick line.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm headed to Taylor Reservoir to try some Kastmasters and then take a look at the tailwater.

Cyas

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Kastmaster sure casts a mile. I caught a few on the gold. Zip on the silver. Nothing big.

Tailwater wasn't crowded at all. I should have brought a fly rod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts