Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
What is the price? If it is over $750 I would hold out and look for a deal on a DPMS carbine or better yet a M1A1 Scout Squad.
I know the additional is substantial but the DPMS takes PMAG SR25 mags that run about $20 and the M1A1 Mags can be had for under $25 if you look.
I like a semi auto for a general purpose carbine plus there are a lot more options available for the other two and will continue to be built for years to come.
Another cool option for a carbine is the 760 Rem pump. A smith can cut and recrown the barrel to 16-18" and they make pretty decent 10 rd magazines. Rem makes a 7615 in 223/556 that takes AR/M16 mags that is pretty slick as well. A used 760 can be had for around $300 and another $100-$200 for gunsmithing and accessories isn't a bad deal for a very nice rifle.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
a slightly different approach...
dbm is selling a rem. 742 woodsmaster in .06... i've owned one since i was 14 yrs. old and can vouch for that model as one of the best carbines out there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've got nothing against Ruger and have many of their rifles and handguns but that one doesn't turn my crank to much, especially with a single stack propietary mag. I dont understand why they didn't make it to take one of the popular 308 mags already on the market but Ruger has made some stupid PC decisions on magazines over the years and maybe this is just another one.
I have a Scout Squad and several 760's in different calibers as well as a Springfield G3 copy so if you have any specific questions let me know.
I would definately not confuse the Rem 740/7400 semi auto with the pumps, the semi autos are not near the gun that the pumps are, I personally would not have one of the autos. Definately do some research before you buy.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A scout pump would be cool...

Some of the newer woodmasters arent made as well from what I hear...

Im not looking for a zombie killing rifle....it doesnt have to be semi auto with a 30 rnd mag...I packed an auto of some sort for 20 years or so...never had many opportunities to use it...

To me that scout rifles fills a unique niche...

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm not trying to dis your gun bigun, as a hunting rifle they have carved a strong following. I might be reading more int EPC's OP but what I'm recommending is my view of a GP rifle that might be called upon for anything from home/personal defense to SHTF to hunting for BG. The 740 works fine for the BG job but might fall a little short in the rest due to a design that is not as robust as military style semi's or it's sister pump gun and thus might have reliability issues due to mechanics as well as type of ammo used.
I would use the REM 870 and the 1100 shotguns which are parallels to the rifles as a side by side comparison. Both are fine firearms but the 870 will be chosen most of the time by those expecting the most solid reliability and simplicity across the board given varying climate, ammo, and user.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Col. Coopers original concept predates today's excellent red dot and holographic sites so the forward mounted low magnification scope was nessacary for the optimum both eyes open use. We now have some pretty bullet proof sights like the Aimpoint, EOTEC, ACOG REFLEX that will do pretty well without magnification out to a couple hundred yds plus magnifiers are available and can be mounted in the standard receiver configuration instead of the barrel forward style or the original Scout specifications.
I have a Burris Scout Scope on my M1A1 and like it as well as EOTEC and ACOG REFEX on AR's. The EOTEC has a 1min dot so it is small enough to be quite accurate at distance if your eyes can see that far without magnification. The two REFLEX have a 3min dot and a 12min triangle on the other.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
EPC
as an owner of 6 ruger rifles i feel you can't go wrong with a ruger, that said. i went on line to ruger and it looks like the gunsight comes with both a 5 and 10 round mag. if you go on line to ruger they have a short video that tells about it. it is under the features link. i like the idea that you can use a standard scope as well as a forward mounted scope

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think it looks like a fun rifle for everything from dogs to goats to elk (given the right shot selection). Could be a great timber gun.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Their website also links to the store and prices for replacement mags are $64 for the 5rd and $70 for the 10rd. This has been a Ruger shortfall for quite some time as the Mini 14 mags are excessively spendy compared to those available to the superior AR platform IMO.
Notice also the guns discontinued and the parts that are no longer supported by Ruger. I needed a part for a tang safety 77's safety mechanism and had to buy a complete aftermarket trigger to get the gun up and running.
If you buy a new Scout I would just take note of the magazine issue and have plenty and figure that into your base cost of the gun because if they discontinue the spares will disappear in a hurry and the value will likely double.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I like the concept but my question is how much does it weigh?

I'm in the market for a Ruger Hawkeye Carbine. 16" rifle that comes in .243, 7mm 08 or 308. The glass isn't mounted forward like a scout rifle but it only weighs 5 3/4 pounds.

I ALMOST bought a 7mm-08 this morning but I'd really prefer a 308 simply because of the price of ammo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts