Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Saw a fishing show and they used night crawers about 6 inches off the bottom on a mud flat. They caught a couple hundred pounds of carp. Try a couple kernels of corn and a chunk of worm on a hook.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I fish a couple of real small, shallow ponds, that the Carp just turn on right after ice off (jumping and everything). It may be a little early, but you could get lucky. I'd give it a shot. Uncle Josh sells Carp bait, Crawlers should work, or some sort of bread bait...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
BaitMonkey® said:
Why would you want to catch a carp ???
not to sound semi-bigoted, but in eastern european traditions.... especially the russians..... they LOVE carp. Carp were brought here because they were a fish that could easily be raised and can grow to gargantuan sizes. They fight well, and look like roseanne barr.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
try this recipe for carp dough.

one egg raw
two teaspoons vanilla
2 slices of break crumbled

mix all this up, then add flour to the mixture until you get the consistency that you want.

From what I hear, you can catch them now, but they don't fight nearly as good as when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I think it is worth a try! Carp gotta eat all year round i am sure.

BaitMonkey® said:
As for why I would say that because the second largest species caught in colorado on the record books is a carp. And because when you practice catch and release it doesnt really matter the species as long as you have a good time targetting/catching them. Obviously Carp are not for everyone and are a dissapointment when you are targetting another species, but can be a very fun catch and a good way to beat the skunk. Almost like Slimers :eek:

Grass Carp 2006 Private Lake (Larimer County) 44-8lbs 46.50"

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
BaitMonkey® said:
They get bigger than and fight harder than anything else you can catch in CO. I target them almost exclusively these days. There's only so many worthless stocker trout and 12" LM you can catch before you get bored. I was just tired of setting the hook on a fish and having it fly out of the water onto the bank, whats the fun in that. Its a pretty good rush hooking into a 20lb carp on a 5' UL and 6# test, good test of your angling abilities.

If you were to go fishing for carp right now, I'm pretty sure all you would catch is a cold.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I too love catching Carp. They are powerful fish and put up one hell of a fight.(can I say hell on here or is Epic going to edit it out for me again?) Give me a carp over a stocker any day!!
[me=Jay] [/me]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts