Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple days I have been catching crappie at a decently pressured place, in a spot I catch them every year. Not to many other peope really fish for crappie at said place, at least successfully. So I do my best to not let people know I am catching them. Of course though someone will fish near you and you don't have much of a choice. A couple people today had already seen me catching fish, I tried to say they were small bass but one guy was close enough to see... Anyways a little later a couple fisherman were walking by and they saw me cast and immediately hook up so of course they stop to watch, I definitely did not want them knowing! I figured I will just let the fish work itself off, that failed so after 20 seconds I acted like my line was tangled and then they finally walked away :cool: You guys ever do something similar?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
In person: nothing for the most part. Except that I sometimes don't walk to my better spots until it's dark...

Online: coloring my pictures and laying plastic bags on the ground. :D Of course, some would vehemently argue that it is easier to simply not post. :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All my secret spots only have small fish in them....

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Catching fish is mostly presentation, even if they stopped and fished your hole they more than likely would not catch as many as you unless you let out what bait and method you were using! If the hole means that much to you and you don't want others to find out about it...no matter what...get up and walk away!!! That beats blasting your own secret hole to any others!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Catching fish is mostly presentation, even if they stopped and fished your hole they more than likely would not catch as many as you unless you let out what bait and method you were using! If the hole means that much to you and you don't want others to find out about it...no matter what...get up and walk away!!! That beats blasting your own secret hole to any others!!!
True that, most everybody there fishes for bass so they wouldnt get into the crappie. Most of the time I just stop fishing until people pass by

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I regularly hid my spots, when a boat came by I would put my rod in the water and turn the boat so they didn't see me fighting a fish. Ice fishing I've taken a different atv or Snowmobile out to be incognito.
Sacred spots are worth keeping secret.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Over here they built a trail along the river that exposed many of my secret haunts, I have told people that the ponds winter kill, are full of leaches, are private etc. My favorite secret spot used to be so choked with brush that it was not even visible from 100' away, but now they have cleared all the brush and the pond is suffering.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If I don't want others to know, I simply just won't post or brag about it, but I will never intentionally give out misinformation about where. Only scum bags would do that in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i look crazy so a "rock eyebrow" and people ususally move along. lol. or some crazy random comment. and off they go.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i always make sure to take my lures off before i get to the boat ramp when laker fishing. ive also kept my lure in the water to keep cotton pickers from seeing what it is. sometimes ill even mess with them to see how bad they want to see my lure. act like im going to bring it out the water or switch sides the last second so i pull it out the water with my back to them. if im ice fishing and there are noobs around i will be quite as possible when landing a monster in the hut. dont want other bobos guys to know theres trophies swimming under them.

i like your oh its a baby bass comment. ahha i would do the same if i was crappie fishin. ill usually always act like the bite isnt as hot as it is.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yep, keep lures off and stowed in boat at all times when around eager eyes.
fish landed can be kept on the shadow prevalent side of boat for fish, and to keep fish more concealed and kept in net in water so fish can breath.
i call lures what they are not for people with good ears. ie the other night another kayaker was more than happy to share the lure of the night. from 500 or more yards away.. TY kayak dude. :)
"old faithful" refers to several lures for different times of the year.
my boats big enough were all this is easy, and if im shore fishing its usually not a crowded spot.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I remember fishing with my Dad one time long time ago. We were fishing a lake and some fisherman came up to us and asked if we were doing any good, my Dad tells them "we haven't caught anything, but on the other side of the lake they are really pulling in the fish". After they left my Dad would laugh and say if the people would think about it, if the fishing is so much better on the side of the then why aren't you there too.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember fishing with my Dad one time long time ago. We were fishing a lake and some fisherman came up to us and asked if we were doing any good, my Dad tells them "we haven't caught anything, but on the other side of the lake they are really pulling in the fish". After they left my Dad would laugh and say if the people would think about it, if the fishing is so much better on the side of the then why aren't you there too.
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty guilty of the "I heard the fish were really hitting in this spot, or a couple days ago I was killin it over there" type statements, sometimes it works! Sometimes I'm not lying either, I just feel the spot I am at is more productive. Who knows somebody may have found one of their secret spots from one of my BS spots!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I don't want others to know, I simply just won't post or brag about it, but I will never intentionally give out misinformation about where. Only scum bags would do that in my opinion.
What do you mean? Like tell them there are a type of fish in a certain body of water where there are not? Or are you saying if somebody see's that you caught a bunch of fish on your way out, you won't misinform them as to where you caught said fish?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually fish a private pond for summer fish when i see some lowlifes down there trashing it up or taking any fish they catch i just scare by tellimg them game warden or security comes down a quiet bit....i sont mind fisherman that catch n release or take legal limit...i just cant stand trashy ppl in my honey hole lol

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I guess I may not be the pure angel slayerfish probably thinks I am... I know people who have been known to keep a nice (not slayer size) mess of big fish and put them on a stringer, place them in some popular body of water, and haul them out after a bit walking by poor souls' catching nothing or maybe 8 inch stockers.

My fault in the whole affair was I thought it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I may not be the pure angel slayerfish probably thinks I am... I know people who have been known to keep a nice (not slayer size) mess of big fish and put them on a stringer, place them in some popular body of water, and haul them out after a bit walking by poor souls' catching nothing or maybe 8 inch stockers.

My fault in the whole affair was I thought it was pretty funny.
I bet that kept them fishing that spot :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
What do you mean? Like tell them there are a type of fish in a certain body of water where there are not? Or are you saying if somebody see's that you caught a bunch of fish on your way out, you won't misinform them as to where you caught said fish?
Yep, why misinform them if they are on the same lake? Isn't the point of good sportmanship sharing info? Why are you on this site? Or are you just a taker and not a giver?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I subscribe to the theory that most fishermen don't know how to fish very well and can't duplicate what I'm doing anyway. I'm hardly ever disappointed. :)

And I don't generally give or take-in the words of Don from Durango-I find my own damn fish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts