Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep, why misinform them if they are on the same lake? Isn't the point of good sportmanship sharing info? Why are you on this site? Or are you just a taker and not a giver?
I don't tell people there are fish in a lake there are not, but I am not going to tell them exactly where it is I'm catching those fish in that lake. Why would I do that? So they can be there will a full stringer the next day when I come to fish? I have no problem giving info to the people I get to know while fishing or even people on here but I am most definitely not going to tell the group of fishermen I've never met before exactly where my spot is. I don't think most others on here would do that either.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Dayum! You guys are more sneaky than I thought. :D So much dirty laundry! :lol: I am a bad liar, unless it is something that really matters, and fishing isn't something that really matters. I think it's OK to not tell the whole truth; it's a different matter to tell an outright lie.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
When I was getting guided in NOLA for redfish by a high profile guide, he said that he will not guide locals. He exclusively takes out people from out of state. He also literally hid his boat in the most unlikely area, between 2 trailers in a yard not too far from the marina, so that locals didn't know which marina he was launching from. If he caught you with any sort of GPS device, the day was over.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dayum! You guys are more sneaky than I thought. :D So much dirty laundry! :lol: I am a bad liar, unless it is something that really matters, and fishing isn't something that really matters. I think it's OK to not tell the whole truth; it's a different matter to tell an outright lie.
The only time I really lie is when people are asking certain lures, but for the most part I'm not crazy worried about people knowing what kind of lure I'm using. My response is usually either crainkbait or jig, even though that's usually not exactly what I'm using. If I'm using a blade bait and someone asks I'll say lipless crank. Sometimes the people stay and fish by me and once I get to know them a little I'll end up telling them what exactly it is I'm using or let them use one

· Registered
633 Posts
If someone comes up on me while fishing I'll just stop fishing-start changing baits, looking through gear, or get on my phone. Once they leave I'll start up again. I've let a fish swim around for a while while someone stopped and talked to me, open bail and line going out when it ran, just so they don't know I'm catching. Also if I walk up to a spot I want to fish and people are already there I'll just not fish. It sucks but I don't want to start fishing and catching, and give up information to them that I've worked hard to figure out, and have them start catching and possibly keeping fish. Many times I've just walked around talking to people and chatted about fishing, making new friends, and never cast a line in the whole time. You need to be careful with the info-especially around strangers. You don't know if they are the ONE person who'll ruin your favorite honey hole. Pretty cynical I know but I've been burned too many times.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.