Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gross is close to my house, and am just getting started in Colorado fishing after living here for 7 years. I am used to salt water fishing in the Indian River and off shore near Port Canaveral, FL. Just wondering what species are in Gross Reservoir. I am heading down there in a few minutes with some small lures that used to work for sea trout in the Indian River. Some top water Rapelas, some small spinners and some of what are called Trout Touts in FL (like a rubber grub with a tail and a lead head). My first post here as well!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I believe Rainbow Trout, Lake Trout, Kokanee, Tiger Muskies, Suckers, not sure if there a Cutthroat, Brook, Brown Trout...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 5 small rainbows in a few hours before lunch with small spinner tipped with a piece of nightcrawler. The largest was only about 12 inches. I released all of them so they can get bigger.

·
Registered
267 Posts
there are browns in there, but not nearly as common as rainbow. i have it from one source (that company that does the topo maps of local lakes) that there are yellow perch, but i've never seen them there.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was their this weekend. I saw a few tigers trolling the shore. We caught 11 stockers before 11am. Their are browns but I don't start seeing them until the level is almost full. I have also caught some splakes, it has been about 3 years since I seen any of them. I have never seen a perch come out of Gross

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are there areas that tend to hold certain species? I know that the dam end is very deep and the stream entrance is probably much more shallow. I am in the market for a canoe and fish finder so will be able to cover more area then. The shore line is really treacherous for walking!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tell me about it.... I took an unwanted dip about two months ago.... burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! And also I've caught bo's and browns and seen tigers and have heard of brookies.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I tend to fish the side oppisite of the drive up area. This side is off of Baseline and Hwy72. The point with the picinic area has alot of rocks and some large browns. Now is a good time to surey the landscape for when the water rises. Looking at the dam lake side I have caught alot of fish on the left bank. The browns tend to be around the first cove not many large rocks but alot of sand and steep steeps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When does the res usually fill with water? What types of features should I look for? Rocks, sand, cliffs, drop-offs?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the kokanee spawn successfully? They can travel up S. Boulder Creek.

·
Registered
774 Posts
only thing I know about Gross is that it has pretty good cliffs to jump off of. I spent alot of time there in highschool cliff diving and drinking beer

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Do the kokanee spawn successfully? They can travel up S. Boulder Creek.

they do spawn successfully , me and my brother caught some decent size spawners last november , i also saw some schools purposing when i was catching them

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Grumpa and I visited Gross today, caught 8-9 small 'bows from shore, not worth writing a report about.

While I was casting, a big tiger musky swam up and looked me over. At first I thought, "Wow, that's the biggest trout I ever saw!" Then when he turned sideways to me I saw what it really was. I stood still and let him swim off so I wouldn't scare him, then I threw every lure in the tackle box after him but couldn't even make him notice them. Heck of a fish, way longer than my arm. I want one.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Heck of a fish, way longer than my arm. I want one.
AMEN!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts