Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's favorite glue for soft plastics?

I've been a big fan of Pro's Soft Bait Glue, but it's expensive and you have to order it online. I just tried something calledd Plastic Surgery that I got at Bass Pro and so far, so good. It is fast drying, but not as fast as the Pro's Soft Bait Glue, so you can actually manipulate the pieces for a few seconds before it begins to set up.

What are some other good ones??

·
Registered
640 Posts
I tried Zap a Gap on my last batch of plastics and it seems to work really well.
I want to try the stuff you have been using Don. Let me know when you are doing your next order may I will get some with ya.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Koldkut said:
A lighter
I think Koldkut got it right. Plastics will melt, and if you join them together while melted and let them cool, they are "glued" together by their own material.

For example, I used to make double-length plastic worms before they appeared in stores, by nipping off the ends of two worms with a razor blade, then holding the ends over a lighter or candle until they melt and start to burn, then put them together, blow out the flame (if any) and hold them for about 20 seconds until they cool while fused together.

In other words, no glue. It works.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Melting doesn't work for all applications, though.

I agree that Super Glue is not effective. It does not bond some plastics.

I have had decent luck with Loctite Super Glue 2. It will glue some things that the Pro's Soft Bait Glue won't.

I'm going to have to try the two that Longdraw and wanzek suggested.

Any others??

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HeavyC said:
Gorilla Glue! 8)
For soft plastic? I tried it a while back and it wouldn't adhere.....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've had good luck with both Huddlebond and 3:16 soft bait glue. Huddlebond seems to dry a little slower, but has worked well patching up the Hudds that have run afoul of the 'eyes and other members of the razor gang (or that have had harsh encounters with rocks).

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, guys. Very helpful stuff. I really appreciated the comparison article, WE.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I CAN tell you that super glue works great, in temperatures from -15 to 95+, on wet or dry plastic, every time. And the fish love it. We caught a 40-pounder today on a "Granby Tube" that was covered in super glue. The thing had so much glue on it that the top was clear instead of green! (uh oh, a new color for GFYODF to work on!)

You just have to manage it. I keep mine stored upright in the "lipstick" type container it comes in. I also keep a straight hook shank handy to re-open the clogged tube once in a while.

I've glued tubes, swim baits, jerk baits, and every kind of soft plastic bait there is with it, in fresh and salt water, in all weather. It works.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha ha! I'm bringin' more new "stuff" with me, TJ! :D But I think I can work in covering some with glue in the next week. ;D

I beg to differ on Super Glue. I have found plastic compounds that it will not glue, but the Pro's or the Loctite will.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Superglue did the trick for me today with a few repairs and even a few of my own creations(think hula grub, only bigger). Everything held up surprisingly well. had some bites nearly pull the baits off the hook without undoing any glued parts.

It may not be the best adhesive, but it's probably the easiest to get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts