Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few spots of the Denver South Platte ("DSP") I'd like to try with my spinning gear.

I've tried fishing it before without any luck.

I am not targeting any specific species.

The stretch I am looking to fish is known to have trout, walleyes, cats, carp and I believe some bass.

The water is generally 1-3 feet deep with a few deeper pools.

After searching the archives I've found a few suggestion on what to use:
  • Spinners (Panther Martin or Blue Fox)
  • Rapalas (not sure what type/size)
  • Small split shot and a nightcrawler (let the current slowly drag it on the bottom)
  • Buoyant
I didn't see any mention but what about a kasty?

Can you or should you try to jig a kasty or buoyant in a river or just retrieve matching the speed of the current?

Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated and DM's are welcomed if you don't want to post for all to see.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You can only catch fish there on a fly. No Hardware.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL but seriously... I don't see any "special regulations" for DSP.

So... what kinda hardware would you guys recommend?

Heck, I'll be taking the kids so what kind of bait and rig would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I wouldn't use bait on the DSP. The few fish there don't need that abuse. Better places to take the kids if you want action for them.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies goldie and lv.

Last week the kids and I went out on the ice and saw success. My 9yo caught 6 bobos and my 7yo and two 4yo's caught two each.

I was thinking DSP because it's 5 minutes from the house and we could swing over there for an hour or so; a real quick trip.

I'll probably have the kids float a jig under a bobber and I'll try some spinners.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have a few spots of the DSP I'd like to try with my spinning gear.

I've tried fishing it before without any luck.

I am not targeting any specific species.

The stretch I am looking to fish is known to have trout, walleyes, cats, carp and I believe some bass.

The water is generally 1-3 feet deep with a few deeper pools.

After searching the archives I've found a few suggestion on what to use:
  • Spinners (Panther Martin or Blue Fox)
  • Rapalas (not sure what type/size)
  • Small split shot and a nightcrawler (let the current slowly drag it on the bottom)
  • Buoyant
I didn't see any mention but what about a kasty?

Can you or should you try to jig a kasty or buoyant in a river or just retrieve matching the speed of the current?

Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated and DM's are welcomed if you don't want to post for all to see.

Thanks guys!

Try a Joe's Flies March Brown with a gold blade from Walmart

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Byron-I was sitting here wondering what DSP was.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Yeah what the pretty pink skirt is the dsp?

Denver Sewer Pond?

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Oh yeah and watch out for the freekin bums! Its not the old ones you gotta watch, cause they've already given up. Its the young homeless a-hole bums that will steal anything-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seriously, the DSP is really heavily pressured and the river just does not have a very large population of game fish. It is pretty tough to crack.
I’m not saying don't fish it, just be mindful of the resource. It seems that the river is not actively managed as a recreational fishery.
I would encourage you to not use bait on the river, and to practice catch and release with barbless hooks. I’m not against keeping fish, I just think this is not the right river to do so. I would also be worried about potential for pollution due to urban run-off. Think about all the oil, rubber and other auto pollution that runs off of the streets. Plus the many other pollution sources founding within the watershed (junk yards, pesticides/herbicides from lawns, parks and golf courses, chemicals from dry cleaners, industry, etc).
As anglers,lets make sure to do our part and not over stress the few fish that are swimming there, and help maintain the interesting fishery we have locally.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't realize the DSP is heavily pressured, at least the stretch that I frequent. I've only seen a few anglers along the couple miles by my house.

In the summer I would see the same guy fishing it almost every night I went by and he was raving about the trout, bass and walleye in that stretch.

I practice C&R 95% of the time but haven't even had the opportunity to release any DSP fish because I've been skunked the couple times I've gone!

Maybe targeting carp and suckers will have better results.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That's the thing, DallasB, those few game fish that make it down stream from Chatty are few and bait fishing comes with a higher mortality rate than lure or fly fishing. Carp and suckers are plenty in there, but fishing is fishing and you can't control what bites your hook,hooking into a nice game fish that ends up croaking is a bummer in a ignored( by the DOW) fishery.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Also, Freestone303 warning about the filth of that river is true. I know you said you are CPR but never , EVER eat a DSP fish unless you are interested in dying,lol. I know a guy who was eating seeds while fishing it and cleaning his fly ........ he the DSP guts. Mofo tried to blame it on his breakfast at El Taco de Mexico, I almost had to disown him.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Wow I had no idea the amount of love for that craphole. Dont have to worry about me raping the giant trout and walleyes in there!::)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts