Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my vice tends to collect some dust over the spring and summer months. I've been tying mainly stone flies, grhe's, prince's, caddis dry & emergers, rs2, soft hackle emerger, juju's, san juans, foam hoppers, various streamers, marabou jigs (for the crappie and bass) and never forget the dirty hippy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I lost my BWO/egg/sanjuan box that I rely on for the spring, so I bought a new box and have been filling it, pics are in another post. After killing it with store bought cork poppers on a front range pond i have decided to tie some spun deer hair poppers for this summer.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Have not tried them out yet. Been out on the pond once and the water was still to cold for warm water fish surface action. I tied some larger patterns with magnum rabbit strip tails for bass last spring, they definitely pushed water and floated great and got some fish. The ones in the pic are tied on a size 14 streamer hook. the small poppers got more action last year but smaller average size. Still a lot of fun watching bluegill blow up a popper. It will be better as usual on flies I tied. Looking forward to it again this year!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Soft hackles..... You dont see them much in the bins. But they have been catching fish since fly fishing first started. For a reason! Anyway easy tie, vary the body material as you wish (suggestions, peacock, hairs ear, chartreuse wire or orange thread). Fishes great when caddis are emerging, which is alot of the time on most free stone streams. Fish them in a traditional nymph rig and then swing them. Put a bead head on them so they work as a anchor fly. Whatever, swing them.. they work great in weird currents and are very forgiving as far a presentation goes. Put them as a dropper on a caddis dry. You will be covering multiple lifestages. A dragged elkhair caddis looks like it is diving to lay eggs or even a small minnow(like a very small muddler), a soft hackle dropper just adds it all and works with the rig. Buggy, lots of movement. It just works however you fish it. cant go wrong. I rarely do not have some with me on the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPkdman84lc

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That guides choice hares ear looks sweet, I'm going to tie a few up today. I am just now experimenting with soft hackles, they worked great on Friday on a heavily fished section.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
There is a GEM of a trick in that video... at about 3:35... I've never done that but will from now on. I love tricks like that, they typically are the difference between good flies and excellent ones.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice videos, I bet you could vary that GRHE soft hackle with some darker colors and make a nice salmonfly nymph...

I've just been filling the voids in my fly boxes and tying up whatever's necessary:
-Midge/mysis patterns for the Blue River/Taylor/Frying Pan
-Caddis emergers for the Upper C
-Pat's Pickles and other salmonfly nymphs for Upper C
-Baetis emergers for everywhere

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My tying A.D.D kicks in big time during these months prior to summer, I switch from big stuff to small and back in the same day. Usually I like to try and crank out a half dozen or so of a given type before switching up to the next pattern.

I am getting ready to tie up some simi seal leeches in various colors- such an easy tie and very effective fly. The guys at Flyfishfood love using the simi seal material and they whip up some cool patterns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bugz,

I agree on the antron egg. Cool egg pattern.

Question for you? Have you made your float trip from Florence to the west end? Reason I ask... Is because I have read all the same articles about that stretch of water. Fished it once (wade fished) from the south side last year. Didn't get into anything, but this may be the year that the "runs" happen. I am not really interested in floating it, but I know a spot on the south end where you can park right by the water. Haven't been over there yet this year, but I am trying to figure out the timing to hit it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
No I have not done it yet. Nobody seems up for it or interested. And with the reservoirs warming and it getting into post spawn and pre runoff there are alot of other more sure options out there. But I think that the timing is as good as it can be right now with the reservoir high enough for the fish to get past the shallow braided areas near the reservoir and the warmer water.

The reports I have seen have said that BWO's are hatching and the mothersday caddis have started to show themselves in canon city and up, and water has warmed enough for streamer action. Everything should be warmer as you get down south closer to the reservoir. I dont know what the structure is like down in swallows canyon or how well the fish reproduce. All I have seen is from google maps. It is kind of a blank spot on the map, which is intriguing. I have only fished near the park in Florence where you can also get down to the river. There were caddis, mayflies and even some golden stones under the rocks I flipped. But I didn't do to great there, but it has potential. Some structure, but also alot of places with out much as well. That is why I was hopein to be boatin. That way you can cover much more water and stop at the places that have potential. But I would be down with hitting it if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
found another vid I like. Has some cool techniques i am going to have to try out. I think this could be turned into a great BWO emerger pretty easy by changing the shuck and abdomen colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjEH2iaSvM

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah this weather has me changing my plans- moving lower in elevation and going to be fishing moving water instead of lakes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts