Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys , what kind of trout is the bottom one? Looks like some type of hybrid to me but not really sure. Hope the picture posts.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
looks kind of like a snake river cutthroat....

where was it caught?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caught three of them last night at Chatfield. Really doesn't look like a cuthroat to me, let alone that there would be any in Chatfield.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The top one is a rainbow and the bottom is a brown. Left click on the pics and it opens in another window left click on the new picture it gets larger still with a larger picture and it is easier to tell.

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, I have to agree it looks more like a cutthroat than a brown. The spots just don't look large enough for a brown, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Its possible its a cut-bo. they stock them in there on occasion, was there a red or orange slash under the jaw? And you are right the spots do look small for a brown, but the coloring is definitely not right for a bo. Was the color more of a purple color and less brown than shows in the picture? If so tht would lend more credence to argument of a rainbow or a rainbow cross.

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think Rottal is right, it looks most like a snake river cutthroat coloring wise, yellow, small spots, reddish fins. Why would one be in Chatfield?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't have slashes like a cutt. The color in the picture is exactly how it looks. I've caught some cuttbows before and don't remember them being that brown. They were more rainbow color. They also had far fewer spots.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Definitely a rainbow. I thought that and brought 2 other people over here to see and they agreed. Rainbows can be very purple and light green; that looks like one of those rainbows after it has been dead a while. It definitely has a definied lateral line. It looks exactly like this fish except its stripe is not as defined, which can happen when they are stocked as a larger size.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
the bottom fish is definetely a snake river cutthroat, i've got tons of pictures of fish of the same coloration from the delaneys.just cant put them on the computer.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
He said it didn't have slashes so that means it can't be a cutthroat or even a cuttbow. Odd indeed.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im still stickin to the Snake River Cutt answer....

brown? i would have to see a better pic of the fish in question, but its spots are too fine and the colors are too light...browns are usually silvery when caught in lakes, but still have larger spots...

Cuttbow? Cuttbows tend to look more like rainbows, except with a more prominent "slash" under thier gill plates...from what ive seen. i fish one private lake with nothing in it but cuttbows, and none of them have ever looked like this fish...nor have i seen any else where else that have

the spots are very fine, which is usually seen on your garden variety stocked Snake River cutthroat ive seen in the lakes and hatcheries in colorado. that to me is the bigger give away....but its also got a yellowish hue from the looks of it, ive seen snake rivers with the same. the red neck slash is not always so visible....

heres a pic off the net...what do you guys think?

who knows though....we could all be wrong....maybe its a Lahontan cutt...now that would be cool lol

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Interesting...

Looks like grilling material to me  ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Without the slash I have to say its not a any sort of cutthroat. However it is possible to not have a prominent slash. It looks like the pic posted of the cutthroat at least in the rest of the body coloration.

If by some chance it is a Snake River how did it get in Chatfield? Are the bucket biologists at work? I don't think they stock them up river in the South Platte.

Seems like we should attach a poll to this question.

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I toured a hatchery one time and i noticed in most of the trout holding runs there were always a few other species mixed in...perhaps this was one of those "rogue" trout mixed in with a bunch of rainbows headed for Chatfield.....

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Rottal

The only Lahontan's I ever caught were in Walker lake Nevada. Do they stock them outside the saline Nevada lakes (Walker, Pyramid etc)?

I stilll think it looks like your first guess, a Snake river variety Cutthroat.

Terre

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is confused. Once again I caught three of these exact fish that night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts