Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best rod and reel and line combo for jigging.Ive been using a 3/8 oz jig with trailers. I dont seem to be in tune with whats going on with the jig.Any tips would be appreciated. Im using a 6'6" with 8 lb test it is mono line Ive tried with baitcaster and spinning reel.

HIGHHOOK O0

L

·
0 Posts
I have a 5'8" rod with a Quantum Energy spinning reel, a 6' with a pflueger Presidential spinning reel and a 6'6" rod with another Quantum energy spinning reel. I use all three for various types of jigging. I go with 6 to 10 pound test. Use the best/most sensitive rod you can afford for jigging. I really like the BPS walleye rods, good price and good rod for walleye.

I don't fish for bass so I can't help you there. Just walleye and lake trout.

·
Registered
198 Posts
6' 0r 5'6" medium light, fast tip spinning rod with 4# - 6# test line. i've been using fenwicks but just picked up a bass pro walleye rod recently, on clearance, good rod. i use light jigs, 1/16 - 1/8 oz. 1/4oz is a max for me.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Try switching to one of the braided lines.  The line will improve your ability to feel the jig on the bottom, dragging over rocks and you will feel the hit better.  Like the others have said, higher end, more sensitive rods help too.  Too many people drag or cast jigs with broom sticks and line more like a rubberband and wonder why they dont catch many fish.  They just dont feel the fish nor the bottom for that matter.

With the right set up you can use lighter jigs which the fish can pick up easier.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rod I have is a quantam optix med action and I actually just bought some braided line fireline but only one rod and I was thorwing a husky jerk with it. Thanks for info any tips for deep water thats really where its diffucult to tell what the jig or worm is doing.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
HH,
I assume you are in a boat if you are fishing deep water. One of the best methods for jigging, regardless of depth is to drag your jigs vs. "jigging" them. The boat should move very slow....1/10 to 2/10 mph. Let out enough line to allow the jig to drag the bottom and just let the jig sit on the bottom, the only thing moving the jig will be the movement of the boat. Kinda like a VERY slow troll but using a jig. If the bottom is snaggy, you will need to (1) decrease the speed of the boat and get the line more vertical or (2) use a heavier jig and get the line more vertical. Regardless of speed, depth, etc....use the lightest jig possible. Deepwater jigging in windy conditions is difficult, switch to a lindy rig to maintain bottom contact.

Other than jig weight, I dont do much different for deepwater jigging vs. shallow water jigging.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is a lindy rig also Im looking for a fishing buddy for mine is going under the knife and wnt be able to fish for awhile so if anyone would like to join who can bring some good fishing knowledge would be great let me know if interested and yes fishing from a boat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the most effective method of catching walleye. even in CO. 6'6"-7' med. spinning rod, 6-8# xt or equiv. line, 1/4-3/8oz walking slip sinker, snap swivle, 5-12' snelled 6# leader, bead, appropriate hook and size for bait being used. backtrolled or forward trolled slowly vertical or at a 45 degree angle with a lift drop motion. that's the basics of it...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
HH,
Like Raven said. If you have a subscription to the Colorado Fisherman magazine, look in the May edition. I have an article in there about Lindy Rigging.....except Ken forgot to put my name under the article....KEN!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I like a longer rod roughly in the 6'8" to 7'2" area with a medium light action and a fast to extra fast action tip. As others have said buy a rod that is very sensitive. I use 8 lb line with this setup and catch all different species of fish from perch to walleye, bass, and wiper. A suggestion on the rod, I just tried the Shimano Crucial and they are extremely sensitive and sell for around $130. They are the best buy in the market right now IMO.

L

·
0 Posts
BPS has the last of last years walleye angler rods for 30 bucks. They have 6' and 6'6". Regular price is $70.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts