Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Try switching to one of the braided lines.  The line will improve your ability to feel the jig on the bottom, dragging over rocks and you will feel the hit better.  Like the others have said, higher end, more sensitive rods help too.  Too many people drag or cast jigs with broom sticks and line more like a rubberband and wonder why they dont catch many fish.  They just dont feel the fish nor the bottom for that matter.

With the right set up you can use lighter jigs which the fish can pick up easier.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
HH,
I assume you are in a boat if you are fishing deep water. One of the best methods for jigging, regardless of depth is to drag your jigs vs. "jigging" them. The boat should move very slow....1/10 to 2/10 mph. Let out enough line to allow the jig to drag the bottom and just let the jig sit on the bottom, the only thing moving the jig will be the movement of the boat. Kinda like a VERY slow troll but using a jig. If the bottom is snaggy, you will need to (1) decrease the speed of the boat and get the line more vertical or (2) use a heavier jig and get the line more vertical. Regardless of speed, depth, etc....use the lightest jig possible. Deepwater jigging in windy conditions is difficult, switch to a lindy rig to maintain bottom contact.

Other than jig weight, I dont do much different for deepwater jigging vs. shallow water jigging.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
HH,
Like Raven said. If you have a subscription to the Colorado Fisherman magazine, look in the May edition. I have an article in there about Lindy Rigging.....except Ken forgot to put my name under the article....KEN!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.