Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago, I was fishing the Frying Pan River just below Reudi Dam. I was walking on an access road near the gauging station when I spotted two or three good size rainbows in about 12" of slow moving water behind some rocks. One of the trout had something in its mouth that looked like a piece of a white plastic grocery bag and that's what it was or something similar. Initially, I thought it was caught in its mouth until it released it, chased it downstream a couple of yards then returned to its feeding station behind the rocks. It did this several times.

I know, someone will say the strangest thing they have seen is a trout coming to the surface to take one of their flies.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't condone doing this now but...

In my younger years I smoked. I hiked into Cheesman canyon and walked out onto the bridge by the gauging station, just below the dam, and was looking at the water. I burned a menthol and flicked the butt into the stream from my position on the bridge.

It floated about 12 inches and a nice fat bow of around 18" came up to the surface and ate the cigarette butt with the flashiest rise I saw all day.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I had a 16" brown trout on the Colorado hit my salmon fly with such vigor that it came out of the water and briefly beached itself on the bank.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This happened on a small lake on the north side of Mt Hood, in Oregon. I was fishing from my float tube with my fly rod catching a ton of small rainbows. One fish I had on for just a second and lost him to a long distance release (LDR) but he (or she) continued to flop around for the better part of 30 seconds acting like it was still hooked. Talk about a stupid fish.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Another Oregon story. I was at Camp Sherman in central Oregon (Metolius River) on the bridge just outside the store. I was watching some kids throw Cheetos into the water and saw fish after fish rise and take the offering. Often wondered if I could design a Cheetos fly and if it would be productive. Possibility of becoming a millionaire having designed the silver bullet fly as it were!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was fishing streamers out of a drift boat on the Colorado and had a fish come flying out of the water after my fly as I was bringing it out of the water on my back cast.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Fishing with a fly and bubble. If I could get some hooks on my bubble I'd have caught a hell of a lot more than what the pistols have produced. Almost every cast something nails the damn bubble

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'm with you there doom on fish hitting my bubble, even entertained the notion of putting a hook on the swivel below the bubble to see if magic might happen.

In northern minnesota stocked trout lakes i've had a snap swivel open hanging in the water with no lure or bait on it and hooked a decent rainbow that hit it so hard the open swivel acted as a hook and actually landed the fish. that is some no pressure fishin right there.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
In 2000, my buddies threw me a bachelor party. As a gift, they bought me a fly box and all filled it with a bunch of their favorites. One of my buddies wasn't a fisherman, but like to row boats. So he tagged along. Anyway, he's a clown. He took a few French fries he got from McDonalds and tied them on a hook. He called them dry fries. A couple days later we were all hanging out having lunch on the river and there were a bunch of fish cruising around, right in front of us. The were sipping the top. I put a dry fry on for shits and grins and nailed a nice cut. First and only fish caught on a dry fry!:D

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Not TROUT, But Walleye... On a "Fly In" trip to NW Ontario about 20 years ago, We were fishing a winblown point about 12 ft deep and I got a 14" Eye with a Jig... As I'm yanking it in the boat, He bites Me off, Or the knot came undone, whatever... lost the Fish and My Jig..
Two days later, same spot, hooked the SAME fish and it had My ORANGE 1/8 oz. jig coming out its anal hole.... HOOK FIRST.... WEIRD...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Walking along the Fryingpan just below the dam near the bend pool I see a 15" brown floating motionless toward the surface. Don't think much of it and keep walking then hear a splash. An 18" brown had grabbed it sideways in it's mouth. I watched it for probably 10 minutes as it turned the smaller fish around and proceeded to swallow it snake-style until just the tail was sticking out of it's mouth. After a couple more minutes I guess it decided it couldn't deal with the meal and it puked the fish up and swam to the bottom of the hole.

Also, had a cheeto blow off the boat during lunch on a lake and a minute or so later heard a splash and the cheeto was gone. I could see the fish a few feet below chomping on it sideways in its mouth until it chewed through and the two end pieces floated to the surface.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A long time ago in a far away place, (New Jersey!) I used to fish on a stretch of the Musconetcong river that was a no kill section. There was a hot dog stand on the road next to the river and the fish there loved the bread and hot dog pieces the patrons flipped into the water for them. A fly tying friend made up some bread flies and hot dog flies and we had one fish after another. The following year these flies were banned by the State of New Jersey.
Bill

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
A long time ago in a far away place, (New Jersey!) I used to fish on a stretch of the Musconetcong river that was a no kill section. There was a hot dog stand on the road next to the river and the fish there loved the bread and hot dog pieces the patrons flipped into the water for them. A fly tying friend made up some bread flies and hot dog flies and we had one fish after another. The following year these flies were banned by the State of New Jersey.
Bill
Good one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last summer I had a rainbow pull my paddle boat in a complete 360. This thing would not give up. Probably fought it for close to 10 minutes. To my surprise this was only a 12" fish. I thought about inviting it back to the cabin for beers.

/Grand Mesa

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was fishing in Canada for walleye with a lead head jig. I was bouncing it on the bottom and snagged a stick about the size of a cigar. I was retrieving the stick and a northern pike grabbed the stick and took off. Wasn't on for long when he realized it didn't taste good.

I was fishing the Spinney large midge hatch a couple years ago with a double fly set up. I clipped my hemostats to the bottom fly to set my indicator depth and lowered the rig down. A large rainbow hit the upper fly that was about 12 inches higher than the hemostats and the fight was on with a pair of hemostats dragging behind.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I saw one jump out of the water and started to sing...well maybe not sing but it jumped out of the water...well maybe not jump but thrust itself out of the water.

oh...and then it committed suicide on a SWJ.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I saw one take SlabSeeker's fly. And the fly, was a SJW!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I saw one jump out of the water and started to sing...well maybe not sing but it jumped out of the water...well maybe not jump but thrust itself out of the water.

oh...and then it committed suicide on a SWJ.
BTW

What is a SWJ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts