Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few. Cut my ear in 1/2 on a 4-wheeler(hit a ditch and flipped me through the barb wire fence)...........took almost 160 stitches to put it back together along with another 40 in my leg.

Also crashed my bicycle the very next year and knocked my teeth out. Broke both jaws from ear to ear. Had 30 stitches in my tongue. I have 10 root canals and a 6 unit bridge and a 5 unit bridge to show for that one. ( Nice straight white teeth though) ;D

Torn ACL...........Grafted my patella tendon to fix.

Torn ligament in right index finger(on a hookset!) Seriously. That was at Cedar Bluff. Set the hook in a tree! :-[

What you guys got?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Fell asleep driving up to Estes Park when I was 17 on the way to hit the river. Ended up drifting off the road and fliping. My left arm was out of the window and it got messed up pretty bad. Right away the people behind me (who turned out to be two doctors) put a turn a kit on my arm which saved my life. Being a young stupid kid I didn't realize how close I was to dying and my main concern was my new tattoo(then again I was pretty out of it after the EMT's came and hit me with some morphine.)

I ended up staying in the hospital for two weeks getting two skin graphs on my left arm, and stitches all over my hands, face, etc.... The hard part was dressing changes they had to do every 8 hours to get all the gravel and glass out of my arm before they could perform the surgery.

All in all I was useless for about 4 months....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
From that point on If I'm tired on a fishing trip I stop and get a room.

Other then that I hurt my pride pretty bad slipping off the rim on a breakaway dunk when I was 20 or so. Almost ended up doing a back flip and slammed onto the wood hard hard. My girlfriend and her family at the time were in the crowd too..... I felt about three inches tall. For the record the ball did go in.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I'm not even in your league! :D
Cmon bro! Surely you've nicked yourself shaving! ;D
I've had my share of broken bones and stitches, but the most painful was a couple of years ago when I first started making my own soft plastics. I accidentally tipped a 2 cup measuring cup of 400+ degree plastic and coated 3 fingers with it. When the blisters were finished, each finger was more than 2X normal size. Luckily there was a pain of cool water nearby that I plunged my hand into when it happened or it would have been worse, I suppose.

I didn't sleep for 2 days! Man burns hurt!

I wear leather gloves now. :D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I had dosed a hit of acid. About an hour after, me and my buddy decided that the people we were with were gonna be downers. So in the process of ditching them, the dose was starting to kick in, I started running and I hit a patch of wet grass, I sprained my ankle and slid on it for about 2 feet, until I came to the sidewalk, where my momentum took that same foot, and buckled it in the other direction. Long story short, I sprained the same ankle in both directions at the start of a trip. Well, I was 17, and I sure as hell couldn't go home and tell my mother I had to go to the hospital. So I ended up walking on it for the next 7 hours, lol carefully. Well, when the does started to wear off, I realized just how bad it was. I was on crutches for the next 4 months. Never broke a bone, but if it is anything close to the pain I felt with that, I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
3 1/2 Years ago Snapped my right Achilles tendon trying to get back into shape! I Wouldnt wish it on Fish Explorer!! ;D Thats how bad it was!! Couldnt put weight on it for 3 months! Still not right!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i had a head on with a DUI at 45 mph i was driving a 69 firebire, the DUI was driving a 68 firebird, feathers went everywhere. i had 168 stitches in my head, 2 teeth knocked out, one was found and replaced, 2 more were cracked. i spent 5 days in the hospital, that i don't remember. also broke the tips off 5 vertebra that went inbetween the disk and the vertebra. it took 5 years for the body to absorbe the broken bone.

also had a broken toe, 2 broken fingers, a broken rib, and 3 ribs seperated from the sterum.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Knocked out with a concussion being pulled down from a standup in wrestling practice in high school.

Blew my knee out in martial arts training, and actually felt myself going into shock before I caught a ride to the hospital.

Few years later and a bucket tear of the medial meniscus cartilage of the same knee resulted in me not being able to straighten my leg until the orthopedic surgeon cut off the torn and folded over cartilage.

Continued injuries to the knee, one of which resulted in a knee tap. Having a doctor poking around underneath my kneecap with a hypodermic needle searching for fluid to draw off was excruciating. Eventually had a second operation on the knee at the Air Force Academy so they could reconstruct it. The pre-op MRI noted arthritis, bone on bone, and no identifiable fibers of the anterior cruciate ligament.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
HOGMASTER said:
3 1/2 Years ago Snapped my right Achilles tendon trying to get back into shape! I Wouldnt wish it on Fish Explorer!! ;D Thats how bad it was!! Couldnt put weight on it for 3 months! Still not right!
I had bone spurs removed from the heels of both feet last year (not at the same time). The recovery for those surgeries were so bad because they had to cut my achilles tendons to get to the bone spur. I know your pain, and yes...it sucked.

·
Registered
699 Posts
in 2003 i had the tip of my right ring finger and pinky crushed and mangled by a Dock plate and spent 6 months trying to recover and all this three weeks before the a qualifier for3 gun competition

W

·
0 Posts
I was "doing my job" late one night and a guy had my R lower leg wrapped up with his legs. He slowly applied pressure and ever so gradually ruptured (pulled apart) my ACL. Pain-wise that was the worst I've had.

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Worst injury? Like Swanny, my last concussion.... number 6

Most often injured? Like Swanny, my knee. 3 surgical procedures, last one in 2008. Never really got it right. Sucks, specially the resultant artritus.

Dumbest? Stuck a filet knife through a smallie I was cleaning for dinner on a trip in the Boundary Waters (MN). Knife blade went through the fish and through my left hand..... kinda ruined the trip......

Scariest? Getting slammed head first into the boards and not being able to move anything. I was 27 and a new dad..... things worked out, 'cept the nagging neck pain....

Funniest? Sledding down the hill in the back yard onto the ice. Except the part where my neighbor buddy tried to jump over the sled with his skates on. Hit me square in the left cheek, kinda went right through my face. Lots of stiches inside and outside the mouth....

Never really had to spend any time in the Hospital, so mine are mostly mild. I feel for ya'll that have really been hurt........ specially veterans

BHR

1 - 20 of 77 Posts