Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I float the cataraft from bucks bags. The bronco version. It has to pontoons on either side and is I believe 10 ft. in length. Very possible to float. This weekend

I am doing the 4 mile float from juniper springs this weekend, through juniper canyon to the maybell bridge. Little yampa canyon is also popular, which I floated last year and caught around 50 smallmouth, 1 monster northern, and 1 rainbow.

Smallmouth are normally 10-12" but it seems one in every 5 or so is 2 or 3 lbs, and there are some even bigger ones. If you catch a northern it is generally a monster, mine was 36" and I guessed about 14 or 15 lbs. If you catch a big northern please release it, there aren't many left as the CDOW and USFWS are destroying them. You can keep some smaller smallmouth if you like though, they are plentiful and easy to catch.
Here is the type of larger smallmouth you'll catch

Good lures are #6 panther martins like that beauty was bagged on, 1/8 oz. spinnerbaits, #7-9 floating rapala, 1/8 oz bill lewis rattletrap which got the northern, 3" curly tails on 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jigheads.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I take it there are no rapids or super shallow flats? Do you normally take two cars or hike back to the put in? Let me know how you do. I am thinking about going next week.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are rapids in juniper canyon, but not in little yampa canyon. Just be ready to row and watch the big rocks! I suggest little yampa canyon to duffy mountain for a take out for you.
We try to take two vehicles if possible, but if you can't do that I use eric erwin to shuttle.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI I never keep bass or pike and I only keep several walleyes a year. So no threat there. I am a big beleiver in catch and release. I fish a lot private water so it is evident to me how John Q Public can reck a fishery.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
McFish said:
FYI I never keep bass or pike and I only keep several walleyes a year. So no threat there. I am a big beleiver in catch and release. I fish a lot private water so it is evident to me how John Q Public can reck a fishery.
agreed. You don't have to worry about the public ruining the yampa because of little public access in that area and a consensus among most anglers to release all pike caught, but the CDOW and USFWS are a different story.
BTW: I'll see if I can get Eric's phone number or contact him some other way. It will have to be tomorrow though because I am going catfishing in a few hours just by my house in a monster hole.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not a problem! If you have any more questions ask. I can't wait for friday-sunday!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
  I was told the river level is falling fast. Due to hot weather.
  [email protected].  Yampa State Park, 970-276-2061
  I had arranged for Outdoor Connections (970-824-5510) Craig CO. for a canoe/vehicle shuttle.  Cost was $70.00. They are very nice to deal with.
  300 mile drive from Colorado Springs was to far to drag a 17' canoe down river.
  I'd like to do it next year.

·
Banned
487 Posts
The yampa is wide and shallow, about 200 - 500 feet in most places and 2 - 6 feet deep with deeper holes. It is the most spectacular bass fishery in Colorado and used be unrivaled for tons of big pike.
We need to start insisting that our members of congress start opposing the gamefish removals and the whole endangered fish program in general or fisheries like this will disappear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ice,
you could not have said it anybetter.
Mcfish if you are going next weekend and want a secend I would be up for it. I have 2 kick boats a 10 ft and a 8 ft, also have 12 ft trailer to pull them.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Well, Eric erwin is out of town right now so I am going to use outdoor connections for this weekends' shuttle.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the great responses! I am thinking about the middle off next week and I have a good buddie who will go with. I have on of those 10 ft plastic pond masters with an electric trolling motor that only drafts about 6". It sound like I should be able to use it on the Yampa. The last wk of July will be my big fishing blow out. Due to a difficult situation I will not be able fish fish again until spring :-[ So I hope I make the right choice of where to spend a few days out of Denver. Every day of the rest of the wk will be spent at Chatfld or Quincy. GB

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
above juniper canyon and juniper hot springs. It is above duffy mountain.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
see my report in the reports section. Remember to buy some #6 panther martins, especially in holographic color. Bring along a few buzzbaits and twistertails as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts