Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always wanted to go on an adventure and fish for something extremely different in a land far away. I have been to Alaska several times and enjoyed it, but the next time I go on a fishing trip I want to go someplace very different. Siberia/mongolia is my dream destination. What's yours?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QakkVFU1Ok

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been trying to live my dreams as I go, I lived in Jackson hole for a year in 79 because it was a spot no matter where I was working I could fish on my way home. I built my home on Lake Granby back in 91 because I loved the fishing there, found a place in Homer Ak thats a great place to fish out of that I spend the summers at and just finished a boat/storage bld. with a guest apartment there. I Spent the last 3 winters with month long fishing trips to Panama after reading about it in the fishing magazines, have been fishing in Costa rica many times and quite a few in Mexico. Our fly in trips of the past to Saskatchewan, Northwest territories and Nunavet were awesome. This spring I'm planning a 2000 mile run with my boat from Bellingham Washington to Homer Ak and researching all the awesome endless fishing spots I'll be passing through in BC and the inside passage of AK. Might be a looooooong trip.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
This spring I'm planning a 2000 mile run with my boat from Bellingham Washington to Homer Ak and researching all the awesome endless fishing spots I'll be passing through in BC and the inside passage of AK. Might be a looooooong trip.
Taking the northern route, huh? That should be interesting too.

Mongolia is on my hit list. The amazon too. Lower priorities: Africa, Europe and Australia. I think I’d go for salt in Africa and Australia. Not sure I would travel there just for freshwater. Can't wait until my last kid is out of college. I'll be a fishing bum. Wife in tote or not (I already told her). But I'll be 52 by then. :'(

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Man, I'd love to do a trip up to Reindeer Lake in No. Sasketchewan and stay at GANGLER'S....
Maybe do a fly out of Thier Main camp for a day trip...
Get treated like royalty...
Fish the "Grand Slam" (Pike, Walleye, Lakers and Grayling)
AND get a few Monster's to boot...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Man, I'd love to do a trip up to Reindeer Lake in No. Sasketchewan and stay at GANGLER'S....
Maybe do a fly out of Thier Main camp for a day trip...
Get treated like royalty...
Fish the "Grand Slam" (Pike, Walleye, Lakers and Grayling)
AND get a few Monster's to boot...
I would suggest Blackmurs on Lake Athabasca.. Good accommodations, Indian guides that cook your shore lunch just don't give them whiskey lol.. Unbelievable Pike fishing, we named one spot fun bay cause every cast it was a pike over 36"s, all the Walleye and Grayling you want and monster Lake trout.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
scandinavia, baffin island... the lower tributaries of the mackenzie river, lake atabasca, both great bear and slave lakes... winter and summer. labrador. iceland. scotland. next year sometime when im finally completely debt free.. I'm planning a canada trip.

all these places have incredible fishing for salmon and char species. but to not pull a zman... i kind of learned to appreciate what I have here in this part of the world.... anything I want to really fish for is either a 2-9 hour drive in any direction.... If I wanted to catch blue cats/wipers/stripers in a place with high probablity and numbers, eastern oklahoma is a day's drive, 3 24 oz cans of monsters and a 40 dollar gas tank cost away.... lakers, pick your poison between any major mountain impoundment that's deeper than 100 feet. brookies, pick a beaver pond anywhere in the mountains.. pike? the yampa watershed rivals most places in the country, and williams fork is a great place to fish.... or if you want an excuse to stuff your face with godfather's pizza... nebraska is only 3-5 hours away. black bass? i can walk out to my backyard and throw senkos to catch them, or drive in any direction to get into them... same with panfish and brookies. our state effing rules, and it's no wonder people from all over the country come here to wet lines..(during the fall, i ran into lots of out of staters that approached me asking where they can catch fish.. I gladly showed them and handed them some lures to try.
)

.... even though I can argue with the rest of yall how the management is kind of lacking.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I've always wanted to go up to AK one year for the salmon run...

But there is tons of stuff close to home here. Stripers, Blues, flats, gar, sturgeon, drum, muskie, and lots of trout and panfish.

I've already caught a PB gill and shellcracker here and my son has bested all of his PBs except for the trout.

This is a great state for fishing, but I still miss Clear Creek and Grand County.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ever sincee the first two versions of the Lord of the Rings I have wanted to visit New Zealand (movies were filmed there). I have friends on another web site who have fished it and rave about the scenery (and the fishing). Patagonia might be another ideal destination but I have my heart set on New Zealand.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Great thread fishboy
Ever sincee the first two versions of the Lord of the Rings I have wanted to visit New Zealand (movies were filmed there). I have friends on another web site who have fished it and rave about the scenery (and the fishing). Patagonia might be another ideal destination but I have my heart set on New Zealand.
Yah, I've heard the same things about it, it's on my list maybe next year, I need to follow the footsteps of Capt.Cook who explored there. Also want to check out Australia and the great barrier reef. Heard some amazing stories about the Queensland..

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've always wanted to go up to AK one year for the salmon run...
The winter King fishery out of Homer AK is year round..
Nothing quite like fishing a river packed with spawners although you need to time it right..

You know Buck the family and you have an open invitation..

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I want to do a months-long trip on the Amazon, starting as close to the headwaters as possible. The plan would be simple - float and fish my way down, throwing lures all day and soaking big baits on the bottom at night.

Oh, I want to go back to Spain too! Something about aggressive triple-digit catfish pounding swimbaits from a drift boat is just too much fun to pass up.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Peacock bass in South America, Taimen in Mongolia, a day on a chalk stream in Great Britain, Atlantic Salmon in Scotland, bass fishing in Cuba..

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have fished a few somewhat exotic fresh water places, Alaska, Ontario, New Zealand, Southern Chile, a little bit in Guyana, Bolivia, China, Ireland and quite a bit in da UP eh.

My freshwater bucket list includes Labrador, Iceland, and Kamchatka.
I have a bigger salt water bucket list.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The amazon river, the possibilities are effing endless!!! I would also love to go to Australia and fish for freshwater jungle perch. Or chase monster pike in canada

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Redleader, your upcoming voyage sounds like a blast!! Be sure to post up some pictures of your trip. It is interesting hearing everyone's opinions... The amazon and Iceland are two others that some have mentioned that sure look like fun. Oh it would be nice if money was no option... then I would have to go everyplace mentioned thus far!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts