Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread might have been done before but considering the weather....Here ya go. So my question is what is you favorite fish and why? For instance maybe it's walleye or crappie, and the reason is because it tastes the best. Or maybe it's lake trout or wiper, and the reason is cuz it fights the best. Or maybe it's brook trout cuz it's the prettiest. Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I like different species for different reasons. Since I am in the fileting/freezer-filling mode right now, I went with crappie/panfish. In a month from now it will be catfish, because they are a great fighting, omnipresent fish that seem to be readily available.

Lakers, brooks, etc... I love them all for different reasons. But I voted for my current targets.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for replying Opry.

I feel like I would've liked to include some more species in the list but only ten options are possible for polls...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
MUSKY!!!! Everything a pike is, but they fight better, and jump. They are such wild predators. Wiper are a close second.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wiperz...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Brook trout/Golden..Just like high mountain cutties...not so much the fish as the setting where I find them. Goldens have lost their mystic since they've been stocked in a few readily accessible lakes.

Brown Trout...Easy to find a bunch of small brownies..but when you hook a large one they are a special fish.

Crappie..They taste great but fight like a paper plate. Kinda cool to look at.

Large and small mouths...Little smallies or large mouths..not too interested. But larger smallies fight like miniature tanks. And it's pretty cool when a larger large mouth catches air.

Walleye taste great and using a jig is my favorite way to fish. Harder to find sometimes than to catch. I think the way the fish respond to different baits and techniques can make a person that fishes for them a better overall fisherman.

Pike..fun more for the size of the fish you can catch than the fight. It's also cool to cast to fish you can see.

Wiper..Once the water warms up, that initial run can't be beat by anything in Colorado. Pretty cool feeling. Wish they could stock more of them.

Catfish..Another strong fighting fish that can reach good sizes..I prefer catching them on a bobber or a lure than bottom fishing at night. True survivors.

Lakers..when they get big they truly are a tremendous fish..Don't care to fish for small ones at all. Jigging for lakers is the one time my adrenaline gets pumping as soon as the fish appears on the screen. They truly are a rush.

Other..I'd love to catch some salt water fish in the future. Never have. I think that would be a hoot.

So..I pretty much like fishing for a lot of different species for different reasons..Hard to pin it down to just one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The MRT's are feeling slighted by this survey...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
My favorite is the cutthroat. Greenback if possible, but they're hard to find.

The Colorado state fish doesn't even make your list?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rainbows should have been on the list. The browns are a little more wary and often harder to catch and often like a little slower water. I like catching rainbows in riffles/rapids.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Browns mostly fish rivers so might as well like browns.

Lakers don't ice fish like I use too and when I do Lakers are the only fish I want to ice fish for these days.

Brookies there on the to do list this year, figure its time to chase something new.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Pete, you have a lot of Greenback lakes near where you live.

You mean the high mountain lakes? I won't be seeing those anytime soon this year.

I'm normally C&R, but there's nothing like fishing the high mountain creeks for brookies, and cooking them up next to the creek. That's good eating.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
CATFISH;D;D As much as I love me some bass and pike Kitty Cats are my favorite, they are just badass motherf*&#ers. They'll take lures, live bait, and dead stuff, like hobie said true survivors!!! I also grew up catching cats first but they were all small so now that I am catching big ones im just like a kid again but having more fun!8)

I do love bass and pike though, both are great game fish. Never caught a wiper before but I plan too this year and maybe my opinion will change! Nice thread JW I've been actually thinking about this recently seeing as how I was just at big mac and had the choice to chase a lot of things but decided to go for cats:thumb:

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Just think of it as a nice way to celebrate the 4th of July.
I hope so. The mountains just got blasted with more snow last night. When is this going to end?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
hopefully it wont end any time soon... we need water waaaay more than we need access to high lakes.

Hobie put it well.. tough to nail down what is the "favorite"... setting, circumstances, company, hunger, etc... all have influence!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts