Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always struggled with my anchor and unless calm water the waves will continue to make me drift. And its a 40lb anchor, I think the problem is the type of anchor. It is more mushroom shaped so the base that touches the ground I a smooth surface, so unless it is super muddy where im fishing or I get it pinned in branches beneath me I continue to drift. Is it because I has nothing to catch being smooth at the bottom? I fish lake mac with my boat so there are big waves most the time, but last trip I was fishing in the group of boats and there were guys all around me pulling up much lighter anchor than me and they weren't moving at all while I was ???

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Get a 9 lb or smaller fluke style anchor, they work great. Mushrooms work in rocks, but not smooth muddy bottoms.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Proper anchoring depends on many things including the size of your boat, how much chain, scope and type of anchor. I use a 32lb Bruce (plow style) anchor with 60' of 3/8s chain on my 30' boat in Alaska that weighs 15000lbs, that holds me well in up to 25' tide changes.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Proper anchoring depends on many things including the size of your boat, how much chain, scope and type of anchor. I use a 32lb Bruce (plow style) anchor with 60' of 3/8s chain on my 30' boat in Alaska that weighs 15000lbs, that holds me well in up to 25' tide changes.
Wow really?? A 32lb anchor holds your 15000lb boat no problem?! I have a 17 foot tracker medium v hull, Im not sure of the weight. I would love for an anchor 15lb or under to work for me im so sick of hauling up my 40lb anchor that usually comes up completely covered in mud, I get gnarly blisters from the rope I have tied to it after a couple days of fishing

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with Redleader, go for a bruce/claw style anchor. A 33 lb bruce with the appropriate amount of chain should work for most boats up to 40'.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You might have a look at the Richter Anchor. I have the 18 lb variety on my 16' aluminum v-hull and it holds very well. If you drop it properly and let it go tight properly, it'll pull out of the nastiest chit as well by driving straight over the anchor while pulling it up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
You need chain to hold your anchor on the bottom and the more scope the better, any kind of plow or claw anchor that digs will work and it doesn't need to be a heavy one for your small boat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like Redleader says, scope is important. A very long line (4x the water depth is best but do what you can) and a chain will allow a small claw/danforth style anchor to dig horizontally and hold.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I run a 10 or 12 lb fluke anchor, with 3' of chain, then nylon cord. It has yet to pull out. I run 2x scope sometimes a bit less if there is little wind.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why is it the chain is necessary?? I usually do not anchor with my boat directly above I do more of a 45 degree angle, but with the mushroom anchor I have now you have to drift for a while til it digs in. Those box anchors look nice, are there any stores in Colorado that sell them or are they strictly online?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The chain on a fluke style allows the shaft of the anchor to stay horizontal with the bottom which in turn allows the flukes to dig into the mud/sand a little deeper everytime the boat gives it some pressure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
lmao iv got the same problem. Got a rubber mushroom anchor and it cant even hold my inflatable still if there is any wind or current at all

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I see, because the rope will float holding the shaft up where as the chain will lay flat on the ground?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read all about it bionic, I like it a lot that's why I was wondering if there are any stores in the state that carry it or if it was strictly online. I think I would have to go with the small box for my boat even though it says 18-30ft and mine is 17ft. 150$ plus shipping may not be worth it this season compared to the much cheaper fluke anchors, I see myself owning the box either this year or next

1 - 20 of 38 Posts