Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
No chain because it is designed to not need one. The only downsides I see to the anchor is the cost & it is a heavy sucker. But that is why it works.

I have seen pleasure boat tie ups with 5 or more boats all tied together with one box anchor out, and it will hold in the wind. A fishing boat is unlikely to ever have it break loose.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I read all about it bionic, I like it a lot that's why I was wondering if there are any stores in the state that carry it or if it was strictly online. I think I would have to go with the small box for my boat even though it says 18-30ft and mine is 17ft. 150$ plus shipping may not be worth it this season compared to the much cheaper fluke anchors, I see myself owning the box either this year or next
I saw it once at Bass Pro, but that was a few years ago.

It is more expensive up front, but not extremely so if you consider having less rode and no chain.

I would email them to see if the PWC size would work.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I saw it once at Bass Pro, but that was a few years ago.

It is more expensive up front, but not extremely so if you consider having less rode and no chain.

I would email them to see if the PWC size would work.
I think I will do that, seeing as how the pwc size is 50$ cheaper, I haven't seen anything on there about shipping I can imagine its not cheap...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Why not just use a bit of chain (plastic dipped chain for no rust) and a smaller, cheaper anchor? The box anchor looks wonderful, but loosing one would suck, and you will snag anchors now and then.

Red Leader, that vid you posted is $$$. I first saw folks doing this in AK. Super easy and clever way to not fight with 10,000 feet of anchor line. Hooray for mankind.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why not just use a bit of chain (plastic dipped chain for no rust) and a smaller, cheaper anchor? The box anchor looks wonderful, but loosing one would suck, and you will snag anchors now and then.

Red Leader, that vid you posted is $$$. I first saw folks doing this in AK. Super easy and clever way to not fight with 10,000 feet of anchor line. Hooray for mankind.
I think that is what I will do for this season, although I will own the box anchor at some point most likely next season maybe even this season. That plastic dipped chain is something I for some reason haven't considered, I've been thinking about using chain and it rusting but that sounds like the solution!!!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have had my own boat for 11 years now, and boated with my family my whole life before that. Not trying to jinx myself, but I have yet to lose an anchor.

It would suck to lose a box anchor though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have had my own boat for 11 years now, and boated with my family my whole life before that. Not trying to jinx myself, but I have yet to lose an anchor.

It would suck to lose a box anchor though.
Depending how deep I was I would try to get it...just last year I had to do that with the mushroom anchor, it lodged under a tree and it wouldn't move. Luckily I was only ln like 7-8fow so it wasn't that sketchy,

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Add in afew feet of elastic type rope and even mushroom anchors will hold better its the waves and the rocking of the boat and the elastic will take a lot of the shock out of the equation...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Add in afew feet of elastic type rope and even mushroom anchors will hold better its the waves and the rocking of the boat and the elastic will take a lot of the shock out of the equation...
That may work, either way I really want a lighter anchor that is just as but hopefully more effective. Mine is either 30,35 or 40lbs but it is a pain hauling that up 10-20 feet many times a day. Sometimes I am anchoring 20+ times a day at different spots so something lighter would be amazing. I think I will end up with a fluke anchor for now they are like 30 or 40 bucks at bass pro. I like the box though, and the shore spike the same company makes I will end up with both by next season!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The shore spike is a good idea as well. I bring a horseshoe stake and a small sledge with me to tie my shore line.

Check out the weight on those box anchors. They aren't light.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It says the small box anchor is only 19lbs, that's quite the downgrade from what I have now

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Go look on iboats.com...they might have some ideas that you havent thought of...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I'm with redleader and clack. A bruce/claw works well and you can easily rig it for break away release.

I have used an 11 lb with 9 feet of chain on my 21 foot walk around and it holds in almost all wind regardless of the bottom, 3-5:1 scope.

I have a 22 lb with 30 feet of chain on my newest addition, but there is a windlass.

Inexpensive anchors too boot.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have a 35.00 cabelas fluke type i have been using for 30 years with boats from 14 to19 feet i use 5 feet of chain. after it bites good i can break 3/8 inch poly rope backing down with my 115 hp i now use up to 145 feet of 5/8 nylon. dont say you will never lose an anchor, when i fish all winter on pueblo i will find up to 5 anchors a year. now i just carry a very small claw in the back of the boat tor the inspectors to look at, no rope. i ues gps to anchor me now

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Byron,

I have a several fluke anchors. They are ok IMO, but I think they are more finicky to set and harder to set up as a release.

I jig in 150 feet + water on lake superior, so I use more rode. And yes, electronic anchor is a great thing, if you have a boat that you can put a bow mount on.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts