Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old prop finally bit the dirt(water?) last summer. The guy at Sterling told me I need a certain pitch for this altitude. I fish Chatfield and Union primarily.
What Pitch? Stainless, Aluminum, or Composite? Help!

L

·
0 Posts
Go to Jim's Prop shop. Prop selection is an art. A person cannot simply say get this or that unless he/she is an expert. Size, pitch, blades, cupped/uncupped all must be taken into account on determining the right prop. I like aluminum props for the simple reason that on my fishing boat if I get a little shallow and ding the prop, an aluminum prop will take the hit, not your drive shaft or lower unit seal. Jim is an expert and one heck of a nice guy, check him out in Arvada.

DON'T GO TO HIM FOR ADVICE THEN BUY FROM THE INTERNET. IF YOU GET HIS EXPERT ADVICE BUY FROM HIM!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Do you still have the old prop? The pitch should be stamped on it...

Do you know how fast the boat went (GPS) - you could back calculate knowing gear ratio, max rpms, and an assumed prop slip (like 5-10 % or so).

I like Stainless Steel, but aluminum is good too. I have never used a composite prop.

In my experience 2" less pitch than if you were at sea level... so say 17" pitch at sea level and 15" pitch here in colorado.

It seems like most props these days are cupped, vents are common now, they are supposed to help with hole shot.

Some props do perform differently than others, if your really trying to get the last bit of speed / performace do as laker taker says, talk to an expert.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Do you still have the old prop? The pitch should be stamped on it...

Do you know how fast the boat went (GPS) - you could back calculate knowing gear ratio, max rpms, and an assumed prop slip (like 5-10 % or so).

I like Stainless Steel, but aluminum is good too. I have never used a composite prop.

In my experience 2" less pitch than if you were at sea level... so say 17" pitch at sea level and 15" pitch here in colorado.

It seems like most props these days are cupped, vents are common now, they are supposed to help with hole shot.

Some props do perform differently than others, if your really trying to get the last bit of speed / performace do as laker taker says, talk to an expert.
LoL Terre says that like she isnt an expert. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
For what it is worth I had a Comp Prop on my 125 Merc one season and that is all it lasted. We came in one day at a good speed-to beat a storm- and after loading up I found the blades all damaged. I never heard or felt anything. When I spoke to the manufacturer rep he said I must have hit something, therefore no warranty. I went back to my aluminum prop!

M

·
0 Posts
I run an aluminum prop on my Mercury 115 - the damage I have sustained is from backing into a stud in my garage. For what it's worth, I've heard that a stainless prop will give you more speed in that it doesn't "flex" as much as an aluminum but I like Laker's explanation (I hope I'm not going fast enough to flex a piece of aluminum and if I am, I don't want to know about it).

Talking to an expert is a good idea - as Laker explained, you have to compensate for altitude in our state.

If you live in the Denver metro area, you may want to check out The Prop Dr. They do good work and they'll fix an old prop. I bought my replacement (initially as a spare) from iBoats.com

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
No experts over here. Just an opinionated blonde. ;D

I have broke a few props too, and if I had a dollar for each prop I bought, I still wouldn't have much money.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
some prop shops will let you swap out props a few times till you get it right.
find the engines recomended rpm and find a prop that lets you hit that rpm at WOT. the corect prop can be different depending on how your boat is loaded as the weight changes so does the prop needed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great information from Colorado Fishing Forum as always. Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts