1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The reel referenced in your link would be great. It gave me a chuckle, though, when they said they named the reel "CI4" because there are 4 electrons in the carbon atom. (There are 6.)

In general, if you can get a reel with 10-11 bearings in it, you're just about at the best you can do. One reel that people should look at for UL uses is the Okuma Inspira. Okuma is not a very well known name, because for many years they supplied rods and reels for other retailers to sell under their own various brand names. Now they are offering tackle under their own name, and it is really good stuff, and about half the price of some of the big name brands. I have had one on a UL rod for 3-4 years now, and it is absolutely flawless. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Don't hold back, Shimano Stella 1000, I found a couple two years ago brand new on e-bay at 1/2 price. They will spoil you.

Bill

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Walking Eagle said:
The reel referenced in your link would be great. It gave me a chuckle, though, when they said they named the reel "CI4" because there are 4 electrons in the carbon atom. (There are 6.)

In general, if you can get a reel with 10-11 bearings in it, you're just about at the best you can do. One reel that people should look at for UL uses is the Okuma Inspira. Okuma is not a very well known name, because for many years they supplied rods and reels for other retailers to sell under their own various brand names. Now they are offering tackle under their own name, and it is really good stuff, and about half the price of some of the big name brands. I have had one on a UL rod for 3-4 years now, and it is absolutely flawless. I wouldn't give it up for anything.
Cool n thanks, will research for certain.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Anteroman said:
Don't hold back, Shimano Stella 1000, I found a couple two years ago brand new on e-bay at 1/2 price. They will spoil you.

Bill
I would love to try a stella, spun a few on countertops, but never put one to use on water. Just to see if it really felt like $500!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
2500 would be a great size. Does not matter which reel that you get. A 2500 is about as multi-purpose as it gets.

What composition line will you be using? For braid or flouro Shimano makes some (Japanese only) reels with very shallow larger diameter spools. Large arbors have all the same advantages in spinning reels (more efficient drags, greater line recovery, less spool memory) that they have in fly reels.

There are only a few places in a reel that having a bearing makes a real difference in performance. 10,000 bearings is great and all, but four will work very well assuming that they are of high quality and located in heavy friction areas.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm very impressed with my new Pflueger Supreme XT. If you get it at Bass Pro's spring classic you can trade in a reel for $25 off & get another $15 off via rebate, making this $150 reel just $110 ($90 less than the Shimano & the same weight- probably smoother too). Or, go with the top of the line Pflueger- The Patriach. With the $30 off via reel trade in & $15 rebate, you're just paying $155 ($45 less than Shimano & a half ounce to one ounce lighter). Shimano does not participate in the reel trade in discount.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Supreme-XT-Spinning-Reels/product/10209013/-1742632

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Patriarch-Spinning-Reels/product/10209624/-1759221

·
Registered
958 Posts
swimbait said:
Let us know how that Pfleuger is working for you in a few years. ;)
After 9 years all of my Trion's still work great. I've had a few Asaro's (discontinued model between the Trion & President) & they were all junk. The President I have has been flawless & I'm hoping for the same reliability & smoothness with the 2 Supreme XT's I picked up. Did you have an Asaro? In my experience it's unheard of to hear someone so against a Pflueger.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Got my wife the new Shimano Stradic and she's been in heaven with it. She as seen an increase in her casting distance, and the lighter weight is easier on her arms. It was bigger money then we planned to spend, but I'm glad we did.

·
Registered
640 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
swimbait said:
After 9 years all of my Trion's still work great. I've had a few Asaro's (discontinued model between the Trion & President) & they were all junk. The President I have has been flawless & I'm hoping for the same reliability & smoothness with the 2 Supreme XT's I picked up. Did you have an Asaro? In my experience it's unheard of to hear someone so against a Pflueger.
I got 2 new Supreme XT's too... Love a good sale. I have 4 presidents, and love them. I have had a couple for alot of years and it works awesome still. I would recomend a Pfleuger to anybody and everybody... PS they outlasted 2 Shimano Stratic's

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
swimbait said:

Bail wire broke on my medalist, sent it in and they fixed it for $15, but overall my presidents have been more solid than any of my Abu's, quantums, and diawa's.
Shimanos however, I have never had a problem with their reels. EVER!

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
For a 2500 at less than $200, definitely a stradic. Unless you want the lighter version for some more oomph in your casts.

I'll usually have one spool with 30 lb power pro for bass, pike and fishing heavy cover (8 lb thickness) and the other with 6 lb mono for basic stuff.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am not against anything. I did work at a sporting goods store for almost ten years and saw what came back. That does not mean that there was anything wrong with them. People who buy less expensive gear tend to beat it up more, in my experience. Not trying to start the reel wars. :-*

SS

·
Registered
386 Posts
I guess when it comes down to it, buy the best equipment you can afford that does what you need it to do. If you fish 10-20 times a year, I think it's a lot less critical. If you fish 125-150 days a year, it makes a difference. Whether it's fly, spin or conventional, quality equipment always feels better and normally performs better than the inferior products. Pay me now or pay me later would probably apply here.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not the price. Maybe it is. My confidence level is on high quality. When I hook into something with good fight, I don't my gear to be the excuse...let me as the dummy be the excuse. Lot's of good info here. Value is important too...Bass Pro will see me tomorrow. May not pick something up, but probably will. Forgot...not sure how many times I fish a year, but I'm thinkin it's more than 20.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I am with Walking Eagle on the Okumas and with FISHAHOLIC on the Pflueger Supreme XT. Both are good reels for the $. Besides I beat the hell out of my stuff so I dont spend a lot on reels anyways because I will destroy them before their due time. I have tried to change my ways, but I am a reel abuser plain and simple. I dont deserve to have nice things

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
heres a deal for you Mark. you put together 4 rigs and try them out and keep the best one and i will give you 50.00 ea for the other three, so you will get 150.00 back so the one you keep will be much cheeper.

what a deal, anything to help you out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts