Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since I have not had the honor of landing a giant Trout yet, & was ribbing the ####### on the other page for keeping a large Walleye I would ask you guys your opinion on this. I do like to keep some fish, I mean the roots of fishing weren't merely for sport, but for food. Since I'm old school & hate farm raised fish I like cleaning & eating them. At what length or weight even if you keep fish (no pun intended), would you throw a lunker back, or consider a lunker. I'm all for nice slab fillets, but I don't want to be a jackass about things either. I know I would not keep a massive lunker, but I also don't want to keep anything that may be above the ol' Trout ethics slot. Gentlemen please put together a slot limit for all species of trout. Thanks

TL

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think you can even come close to picking a standard for individual speices, each lake/stream has different carring capacitiessome lakes just produce larger fish quicker and other waters will never produce bigun. if you were to make a blanket "rule" what i would recomend is protecting the fish in the young to medium breeding size let people keep some dinks and keep a few big fish but protect the midrange that way once the fish get to breeding size they have a few years to breed unmolested and by the time they are out of the protective slot they will be very wise and tougher to catch and the few that do get caught and kept well atleast they didnt die and rot on the bottom for walleye id say 15-22 inches for protection but that is assumeing natural reproduction if the lake is stocked then id go with protecting the small fish and have a size limit like 18 and over to keep and you could do the same with trout id probly go with the 15-22 protective slot on the trout except for lakers and may be brookies move the slot up several inches and make the slot bigger for the lakers and the other way for brookies and even then you would need to modify it bassed on how the fishery reacted

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Anything over 10 inches I will keep if I'm keeping fish. Smaller if its Panfish only.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Id say 15-24in(Trout/Bass/Walleye) should be the slot to be able to keep. Everything else should/needs to be returned to the water. This will help many places become trophy fisheries.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Id say 15-24in(Trout/Bass/Walleye) should be the slot to be able to keep. Everything else should/needs to be returned to the water. This will help many places become trophy fisheries.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
This will also cause stunting in alot of places.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
E do you think the 15" minimum at brush hollow has stunted the bass there i here guys talking bout catching lots of undersized fish?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
E do you think the 15" minimum at brush hollow has stunted the bass there i here guys talking bout catching lots of undersized fish?
I think lack of a growing season with the water levels and over population of gills may have stunted the bass there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i would think with all them gills in there if a bass got big enough to start eating them they would get big quick

·
Banned
26 Posts
ePiC said:
roadkill said:
I think lack of a growing season with the water levels and over population of gills may have stunted the bass there.
Overpopulation of gills would increase bass size through abundance of easy forage. Remember Colorado's growing season is MUCH longer than many other bass states. The minimum length limit has the most to do with small bass in Brush Hollow.
It's just common sense to protect adult spawning fish rather than allowing them to be harvested. Until these fish are protected lakes and streams will not always live up to their full potential.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
with as many gills as are in there if the bass arnt big enough to feed on them they could be competeing for the same forage or the gills could be out competing the other forage. there are some good sized bass in there but a lotta time you go through a bunch of small fish before you geta good sized 1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts