Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
That
1eyeReD said:
DK, where'd you get that? I would love to challenge a taxidermist to replicate something weird like that!
Got that at Sawhill Ponds. Originally I thought it was a Bass/Sunfish/Crappie hybird mutant, but now I think that the bass features were only a coincidence. But it sure fought like a bass. This fish had a mouth like a crappie (but a little larger, like a bass). The overall body proportions were similar to a bass (more torpedo than panfish). From the gill spot forward it was colored like a bluegill. And from the gill spot back it looked like an irridecent white crappie. I wish I had a camera with me for that one. It was only about 6 ot 7 inches long.

It looked nothing like the photo that Mattsabasser posted. The body was more irredecent silver than green. And I'll never forget that mouth. It gaped, like a bass and somewhat like a crappie.

-DK

· Registered
171 Posts
1eyeRed: No it wasn't a sacramento perch. The coloration was definately a cross between a bluegill and a crappie. The "body shape" is almost exactly like the green sunfish picture you posted (the small fish in someones hand). From the gill spot back, however, the fish was similar to an irredecent white crappie. The thing that really suprised me was the mouth. It had a gape like a bass in that you could lip it, look in, and see the gills and stuff exactly like a bass but a little smaller. Definately not a bluegill mouth...

· Registered
171 Posts
1eyeReD said:
My elementary school mentality says I should go check out that pond that you're visiting.
I forget exactly which pond it was, but I think it was pond #8, 9, 10, or 11. Probably #10. And I got it on either a tiny silver Rapala or a gold spinner (that's all I was using that day).

Normally I have my cell phone w/camera with me, but for some reason I didn't have it that day. Next time I'll for sure have it with me.

I used to be really into aquariums, both saltwater and fresh. I've even written a couple of aquarium magazine articles. But I haven't done that in 5+ years now. I do have an empty 20 gallon that I was thinking of keeping live minnows in (before I fish with them, that is).

But I suspect that we're getting a bit off thread...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.