Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at riverbend ponds in Fort Collins. I was fishing the 'big pond' and wading to all my spots. There is one area where you can wade out to a good area of standing timber and it doesn't get much pressure because there aren't many boats out there and I'm not sure how many people know you can wade to it.

So anyway...there's this canoe out in the middle of the pond (it's probably a 100-150 acre pond) and they had been near the standing timber but not fishing it. So I wade out to it and they see me and immediately come barreling into this timber. One guy is "fly fishing" I use quotes because he looked like he was whipping a horse instead of casting a fly. The popper he was using hit the water on every backcast and wend about 5 feet on the forecast. He was snagging timber on every cast which then caused the guy in back (who was spinfishing) go go crashing (literally) into the timber to free the fly-guy and he was also sure to drop the oar on the bottom of the canoe several times in the process.

These guys were nearly casting distance to me, my 3/8 oz spinnerbait, and my baitcasting setup which, believe me, I can cover some distance with. I sent a couple their way and they just stared at me. I was so close to saying something but I turned around and headed to the other end of the timber. They continued a ways down and got tangled up in another tree for a minute.

I was about to head back to the shore and was fishing a little sunken brushpile and here they come again! I was waiting for them to pass between me and the shore and when they did, I was going to go off! But instead, they must have seen the steam coming out of my ears so they proceeded to head down the shore within 20 feet of someone who was fishing the shore and ruin their spot instead.

At this point these two idiots portaged over to a different pond. I circled around and hit the timber from the other side on my way back to the car (about an hour later) and caught 2 LMB out of it.

If you're new to fishing...please err on the side of giving some one way too much room instead of crowding them. If someone is fishing the spot you want to be in, go fish another spot, and come back later. I do this all the time.

If you're not new to fishing and are just a jackass...Look out because someday you'll do this to someone who isn't as big of a wuss as I am. And at some point I'm going to get fed up and let you have it anyway.

I will post a report later with pics. The fishing was good other than the idiots.

Rant Over.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you for the info on fishing do's and don'ts. I am new to both fly fishing and spinner fishing so I might goof sometimes and I am glad I dont do this at least.
I have seen those 2 in the canoe before but I didnt realize they had no idea how to behave. Maybe one day someone should say something to them.

Soon I will have a belly boat and I will remember what you said and make to stay away from others, unless its to say hello and what did you catch that with.

Lonnt

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel your pain. I have been fishing small lakes before when folks hike by with their kids, and simply let them run wild. Nothing puts the fish down like a few large rocks chucked into a crystal clear 10 acre lake. I often find that the most effective way to deal with this kind of thing is to be very blunt without being demeanig. I have often been guilty of saying things to the effect of "Fish don't eat rocks!" or even "Do you need some help with your kids?!" When the culprits are 'grown-up' to use the term loosly I have been known to crowd then right back if words don't work. Things like casting to the same exact spot at the same time or laying your line over theirs are great ways to convince someone they are too close to me. I know full well this makes me a jerk, but I only do this stuff in defense, if you politly ask to share a small chunk of water with me, I always oblige, and if it's not been especially productive, I'll often just let you have it to yourself and move down the shore line.

·
Registered
991 Posts
There is a small lake I occasionally fish on my lunch hour or after work. There have been a couple of times when a club of RC sailboaters come out there and start in. I've watched these clowns throw out their bouys, one on each side of a guy fishing and start racing around them. I couldn't believe my eyes. I almost managed to snag a sail, but they were just out of range from where I was....

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Hey F-Ted- I've noticed that several of your threads have the same theme of dealing with A-Holes while fishing. Is it ALWAYS them who start the trouble? Hmmm- >:D >:D

Just kidding ,man. This is why I rarely fish the Denver metro area and I tend to drive and walk long distances to get away from the madding crowd. Fishing s$cks when you deal with morons.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i had some boater messing with me this weekend it was so funny me and my kids were like lets see how long it takes him to go by us
every time i hooked a fish he would start trolling toward me it was so funny
the bell would go off on my 14 foot poles and here he comes ;D
but what cracked me up the most was he was about 25 - 30 feet from shore
i could have tossed him a cold water everytime he went by
but he never snaged my line so what was he fishing with
i so badly wanted to yell at him im fishing about 80 yard from shore
im not fishing that close to shore today

i was not mad at him and the other guy on the boat but i do wonder what do you people think when you go by that slow and close to shore fishermen
the most you do is scare the fish from me for about an hour or so then i start getting bites again but most the time the fish dont even move

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Slayer...I'll admit that I actually fish to get away from people so maybe I'm too sensitive when they start getting close. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to fish often during weekdays which I really enjoy because there's usually no one else around. I just couldn't stay away this weekend because there's something about bass and spinnerbaits....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a story as well. I like to go to Aurora and fish in my belly boat. I like to move around and am willing to paddle fairly good distances.

One day I am out near the middle of the lake all alone except for ONE sailboat. This boat has the entire lake to sail on except where I am at. Yep, you guessed it, he comes right for me. If I had not had a whistle, he would have come right at me.

Its not like you can just put it in fourth gear and motor out of the way! I am kind of thinking that the people on the boat were, what do call that?...... Oh yeah, "Beveraging"

Itiots!

M

·
0 Posts
Was fishing Arapahoe Bay on Granby. There's one area that I like where the drift is basically from the middle of the bay to the shore. Was fishing for about an hour or so - not under power (drifting) and all of a sudden, I've got about 8 or 10 sailboats barelling straight at me. I knew since I wasn't under power, they had to move - and honestly, there was no place for me to go so I just sat there. It was a race - they circled the buoy then came at me from the other direction. I just sat there and waved. Darn fishermen always getting in the way. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
sailboaters!!! they are a whole different breed of weirdo's and quite inconsiderate at times also. had a few go's with them at cherry creek. ever notice when you are trolling a route, how slow and how close those sailboats get to you. oh well to each his own..

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
remember folks sail boaters get the right of way it is our job to stear clear of them!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Without being there and not knowing all the details, maybe they thought you were crowding them. You said they were near the brush pile you waded out to fish. So maybe they thought you were encroaching on their territory thus the later incident and them leaving. Just seems there are so many different type of fisherman in this state, and skill levels. People should be given the benefit of the doubt. Just enjoy the day, be friendly, and catch fish.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm with Slayer, head for the hills. The fishing is usually better anyway. If I hit Aurora or Chat I put in as early as possible and I'm done by 9:00 AM.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok i will let a my little secret. When fishing at a lake in the metro area on the weekends ( it starts with a Chat and ends with a field, just to give you a little hint) I throw out one or two marker bouies(sp?) where i am not catching fish and watch all the other boats gather around. It is great entertainment between fish. It is amazing to see how many boats will gather around a little piece of bright orange plastic

·
Registered
49 Posts
I should say, that I rarely have to resort to defense tactics. I generally find most people to be polite and thoughtful. This may be because I generally fish out of the way places, and most people you see understand and appreciate the value of solitude.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
tangledleader said:
I should say, that I rarely have to resort to defense tactics.  I generally find most people to be polite and thoughtful.  This may be because I generally fish out of the way places, and most people you see understand and appreciate the value of solitude.
Where you been fishin',dude? In the pages of an Orvis magazine? ;D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I usually backpack. A 5-10 mile hike into the wilderness severly reduces the number of A-holes you run into. Something about not being able to park near the lake, or the idea of having to work to get to the fishing. I've met lots of really cool guys who don't like to hike, but I have met vary few grade-A SOB's who will hike 5 miles to catch fish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts