Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video is a very good explanation of what to do if you or your fishing buddy falls through the ice. You have a lot more time to get yourself out than you may think, if you stay calm and do things correctly. As you watch, think how much easier a pair of those ice picks would make things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA

·
Registered
648 Posts
Very informative view. Hope everyone views this post. Maybe a mod could make this sticky, could save some lives for sure. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Don, this is excellent, and you have done the forum a great service by posting it (& making it a sticky). Thank you! Dr. Giesbrecht has my heartfelt appreciation for going to such lengths to research the issue and spread the word. How many would do that? Well-presented too (I watched the entire clip & want to see part 2).

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
A very big thanks from me for posting that, it could really save your life. If the Dr. had some ice pics he also may have been able to pull himself out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The way I see it going down the hatch is bad enough but the real danger is getting hurt by the ice on your way through. I'm not sure about this but my uncle says that a guy died like 15 years ago, I'm not sure where it was but a guy was fishing by himself on like a slushy 3 inch lid and the ice started to give so he made a run for it and slipped, his jaw hit the ice around the sheet that failed where it was still solid and knocked himself out and drowned. Definatly something to think about. It still gives me the heevy jeeves because actually I could see it hapening

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have fallen threw the ice many times but all of them have been where i could touch or almost touch bottom. if i was iffy about the ice i would make shure that i could always touch bottom where i was fishing. that has served me well. i have friends that said first ice is best ice and would go out on nothing!!! using ladders and skid their way out to were they wanted to go. that was alittle extreem for me but i dont remember them ever going threw.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts