Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to reach the point where my vest won't hold any more fly boxes. Yeah, I could jam 2-3 more in there, but it doesn't feel necessary. I've tied more flies than I probably need, but they exist and I want to fish them. But that means not fishing the others, right? My interest in tying has caught up with what seems practical/necessary. I wondered if I'd get to this point and it appears I have. Should I stop tying? Give flies away for the free beer my brother brings me? Keep them for when I lose the flies in my current boxes and refill them? These questions bother me while I'm at the vise, but this tying thing has become a hobby/addiction and I don't want to stop tying because my boxes are full. Can I donate some flies to some charity or Project Healing Waters? What do ya'll do when this happens?

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
rmalling said:
What do ya'll do when this happens?
I'd tie up more flies, buy some more boxes and fish like hell. You can't tie enough flies.... Oh, and change your thinking, tie some warm water stuff, like Clousers and chit....

Plan ahead for summer time 8)

BHR

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had this problem. When I tie, its usually to tie up a half dozen of a few patterns the night before an outting and shove them all in my "flies of the day" box. I'm struggling to finally put together a fully stocked tailwater box, but this ultra cold weather is helping... gotta stay inside and keep tying...

S

·
0 Posts
I have the perfect solution :
Fish with friends who love your patterns. I do it all the time, and by the end of the day my boxes have been picked clean :)

I have about a dozen boxes, all kinds of stuff. By necessity i have become an ultra minimalist - no vest, bare bones gear. I use a "Fly Fishing Utility Belt" that holds only 4 boxes, tippett, water - thats it. Those 4 boxes consist of the 3-4 dozen patterns i fish the most and are the most productive all the time. Keeps it all simple and allows me to concentrate on technique/presentation more than wondering which bug out of a thousand i want to throw next.

99% of the time its not the fly - its how you fish the water you are in.

I still have a super-addiction to tying, and do have gobs of flies i've though up, i just dont bring it all with me !!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just do what some guys do and lose your favorite box at the stream. Great excuse for tying up more, after the teeth gnashing, profanity strings, etc.

S

·
0 Posts
beadheadred said:
Knute said:
Just do what some guys do and lose your favorite box at the stream. Great excuse for tying up more, after the teeth gnashing, profanity strings, etc.
Like S_L & Funk? :D :D
Just when i had gotten over it..... ( 1000+ in one hit)...... ::)

It happens in my advanced stages of decrepitude

·
Registered
124 Posts
buy a bag to keep your waders in with pockets and leave in the bag the bigger patterns that aren't going to fish as well in this cold water. I have about ten boxes and I take them all with me but when I get out of the truck I take the flies that match up with the water i'm fishing. if i need another patter I can always go back to the truck, but I have never had to do that either..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Send them to Project Healing Waters. You have my address!
I'll send you back a donation receipt.

Bob

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ha ha, been there done that. Helc I remember stuffing boxes in the big back pocket of my vest or the over flow pocket
Slim it down, leave boxes in the truck, decide what you want to fish with, then carry 5 other boxes as just in case flies
Or trade for beer

·
Registered
382 Posts
slowdown said:
Silent_Light said:
Fish with friends who love your patterns. I do it all the time, and by the end of the day my boxes have been picked clean :)
Of whom do you speadk :p >:D
Probably Wahoo........JK..... >:D ::)

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
slowdown said:
Silent_Light said:
Of whom do you speadk :p >:D
I speaketh of many >:D

Its funny, last time we fished i had one last lone Skeletor which i lost, so i asked if you had one left...... there were at least a half dz in your box...... !!!! Fkkr

S

·
0 Posts
... ill keep that in mind.... O0

At least i now know you have 2yrs worth, so i can keep at least a few for myself :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Kind of like preparing for a party - don't plan on a bunch, but they always show up!

(I've learned over the years to have spares on hand: flies, beer, you know what I mean!) ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts