Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the market for a new battery and was hoping to get some opinions? whats a good battery for the money? don't really want to spend $225 on an optima!

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Actually the one by my house had a group 29 for $75 too. But that thing was over a year old, and the guy back in automotive said that they don't keep them charged, so I just went ahead and got the 27 that was only a month old at most.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
walleye seeker said:
i won't use lead acid batteries again. i went AGM and love them. sure i paid 425.00 for them but they will last 10 years. the optma i have for cranking is ok but the 2 i used for my trolling motor were weak
What kind of AGM did you get WS? Im looking to upgrade my battery package...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have used Optima on my old electric boat and pop up trailer. One lasted over eight years. Was money well spent. Would probably still be good if someone had not left the DC cooler on for a couple of weeks.
Wife's car has a Optima starting battery, its over six years old and doing fine.
My current trolling motor on a sail boat is a Sears Die-hard Platinum. From what I have read its a newer better design then the Optima.
I have had it a year with out issue.
Both have great warranty, customer service.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
ElPasoCounty li[/quote said:
What kind of AGM did you get WS? Im looking to upgrade my battery package...
i got the ones from cabelas, they were cheeper than bass pro. try to get a free shipping if you can or some other discount. they are shipped from commerce city.but they still have an overweight charge of about 15.00 ea

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with Walleye Seeker. I love my AGM batteries. Less maintenance and less worry about tipping and storage. I got mine at Cabela's and I think I paid $115 for group 27. But that was 4 years ago. You could try to buy them at the Sidney store the next time they have their $50 gift card when you spend $250.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have three Walmart batteries Take care of your batteries by charging them up asap after use and they will last a long time. One of mine is 4 years old and still working great. Just my opinion. Dwain

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
DwainArvada said:
I have three Walmart batteries Take care of your batteries by charging them up asap after use and they will last a long time. One of mine is 4 years old and still working great. Just my opinion. Dwain
I have two wal-mart batteries in my rig...I bought them new in Sring "10 when I showed up at Big Mac with no juice...In 2008 my new Lowe had a set of Cabelas batteries installed....anyhow...here we are in 2011 and Im getting about 5 hrs on a 24V system....Thats garbage....

Time to get something that lasts...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
EPC
you have been out in my boat and know how heavy it is. i had the same problem with the optimas, 6-7 hours. when i bought the AGMs i now get 8 hours and have a lot left in them. i got the 27s and i think i can getat least 14 hours maybe more. and i dont have acid splashing around. after a bad storm and 4ft+ waves i had a life jacket get eaten up by acid

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Walleyeseeker you had the wrong Optima's for your trolling set up.
Yellow top is for trolling. You had the Blue tops if I recall.
Optima is a AGM battery.
It uses sprial shaped lead plates with glass mat to keep them from touching. That why the round cylinder shapes shapes.
I recall that AGM means Absorbed Glass Matt.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sam's or Costco IMO
Walmart warranty on batteries sucks now.
They are all made by johnson....
Optima's didn't last any longer for me. Lots of $$$$ had 3 have 0 now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Battery maintenance is key no matter what type of battery you use. You run them down then charge immediately after your done. I carry four 27 series batteries in my boat. One pair is six years old and still going strong(and yes they are from walmart!). Optimas are nice ,but pricey.

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Another vote for good ol' cheap lead-acid. Still have the stock lead-acids in my 1999 Dodge Cummins Diesel. 12 freekin years and starting strong.

I can and do run my new Tracker 1.5 days on a group 29 lead acid from Wally World. (55# motor).

Still have yet to spill a drop of acid anywhere.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Buy the most that you can afford. Simple as that.

When it comes to trolling motors and batteries, you can NEVER have too much power. So get the best battery you can afford.

I have both types on my boat. And I prefer my AGM's far and away over my lead/acid's. That being said, one of my lead/acids is a walmart battery that I've had for 5-6 years now, and though I only use it to power my lights and electronics nowadays, I've not had any problems with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts