Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm annoyed at my landing net and I want to get a new one. The problem is that I don't know which kind to get...

The one I have now is relatively cheap and has a fabric mesh net. I hate this because I'm always trying to get hooks out of it. If I'm using lures with treble hooks they get caught. If I'm fly fishing with a dry/dropper then one of them will also get caught up in the net. It seems the with the number of hooks that I've had to yank out from the net that the net will eventually get holes in it (well, larger holes than the ones already in it). And don't get me started on the amount of time I've spent dehooking my net...

So... After looking in the local sporting goods store there appears to be three types of nets: basic fabric, rubber coated fabric, and solid rubber. But which one?

What type of net do you use and how bad does your hooks get embedded in it?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use a Brodin Cutthroat landing net which is the classic open netting (it's also 22" long which happens to be the length needed for a brown trout Colorado Master Angler award). It's pretty tough for the hooks to get into and there's lots of material there so I don't feel bad about using my hemos to yank out the hooks. I fish two flies all the time and always smash the barbs. That helps most of the snags.

I have had a couple of inexpensive mesh nets but they got quite ratty after one or two seasons (at most) of pulling hooks out. I also hand land all but the largest fish to avoid these problems.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I use one of those Frabil nets, the one pictured here:

it works pretty well and I like the extension, but I still get hooks stuck in it occasionally. The one pictured at the bottom of this page looks like it might work better:

http://www.frabill.com/trutrax_nets.html

(#3813/3814) and I would give that one a closer look if I was shopping for a net.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I tend to use Brodins, but they can be pricey. my favorite style landing net (for trout) is a extended handle pontoon boat type net...its handle is about 2 feet long and the net bag itself is not that deep so its easy to get fish out of. for a regular landing net (for trout, once again) i like the catch and release style (a long shallow basin instead of a deep tear drop design)----the fish dont get tangled up in it.

For larger fish...like pike or salmon, for instance, which can twist and turn and make a general mess out of themselves, your boat, your line, ect ect i will only use the large stretchy rubber-type nets. lures are easy to get out of them, fish dont get tangled up in them, and also they wont injure a fish if they get wrapped up in them too tightly. they are also easy to clean and wont stink (and wont draw too many flies when its 90 degrees out) Cabela's has some good ones.

if you are going to do nothing but target pike or musky i suggest using a cradle...you wont even have to boat them that way, and it is easy to use and supports the fish's entire body safely and effectively. they are also easy to make with two long broomsticks and soft mesh material...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I wont buy a net if it doesnt have a telescoping handle for either in the boat or the surf at Spinney/Aurora...I havent used the rubber variety but they sure look interesting...thanks for the link to the trutrax nets work2fish...I think you have found my new boat net...

·
Registered
280 Posts
The rubber bottom style saves alot of time and frustration. Fish can't tangle up line and hooks in it like a mesh net.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just my 2 cents we had one of the rubber nets and used it a few times. The last time we did use it we were night fishing and ended up landing a really big striper got it in the net and just like a slingshot stretch, stretch snap! We almost lost that fish. And that was the last time ive ever used one. What I use now its just a larger net but the holes like a trout net so if im using 1oz weights or whatever you dont have to spend hours trying to get them free.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input guys...

Jay_In_Parker: I'd mainly use it for fly fishing... You know, clipped to the back of my vest. The link you gave to lake-link.com was useful.

_colorado: What kind of material is used in the Brodin Cutthroat net? Fabric, rubber coated, or solid rubber?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have 2 a collapsible (sp) for when I don't have space to take the boat. Its more designed for fly fishing but does come in handy in the canoe or belly boat. The second is just a generic long handle I bought at Wally Mart. It has the cord net. My biggest problem is the fish fall through the net............LOL, just kidding I actually sometimes do catch decent size fish, despite what people say.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts