Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed, while watching fishing shows and talking to anglers from the eastern part of the US, they use waaaay heavier line than I usually see here in colorado. Even if there is no cover they use a minimum of 17 pound test it seems. I am wondering what type of line/lb. test do you prefer for bass and why?

Me, in the past I've had excellent success with 6-8 lb. test stren low vis., to help combat colorado's ultra clear waters. This year though, I am thinking about switching to the 10 lb. fireline, and having an 8 lb. p-floroclear leader. I will see if this improves my fishing. I don't want to snap off another huge bass like the one last year at connected lakes
:'(

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use alot of 8 and 12 lb test on my spinning rods when using mono. I also use alot of Fireline 4/10 and 6/14. I use 14 lb Sensation on my baitcasting reels because I also use them for pike fishing.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I would rather have the opportunity of having the fish on by using a lighter line than having him be scared off by heavier line making the lure or bait appear un-natural. Better to have loved and lost rather than to have never loved at all!

Neal...what do you think of Sensation...I just bought a spool but havent put it on yet?...thanks!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I love it in heavier test! It is a good substitute for fireline if you want to troll with a mono! It tend to have to much memory in the lighter tests.

I prefer P-line floroclear in 8 and 6 lb test when using mono.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I still go back and forth on lb test lines. I fish for just about everthing witch makes it worse. I keep at least 5 rods in my boat at all times 8 lb test 10 lb test 12lb test for bass trout and walleye, for lake trout and pike 14 lb to 20 lb test

·
Banned
487 Posts
I will never use anything heavier for bass than six pound mono if I'm not fishing near heavy cover. If I can land 10 pound plus trout and pike on six pound test, I can land a measly bass of any size as long as he doesn't get me into heavy cover.
If the cover is heavy, 14/6 fireline is perfect. I can see the need for 17 pound line in truly horrific weeds or brush, but then and only then would I use it.

Tyler

E

·
0 Posts
My dad was a pro for awhile, when we lived in TX, before the days of big money and tv shows...he taught me that in heavy weeds and brush-I should always use 12 or better...but that depends also upon what you are throwing at them...

If you are using smaller jigs, or presentations with light lures pr worms... it pays to fish with the lightest line that will hold up! I often use 8 pound, and I like the XT lines ...as long as you change your reels frequesnt;y...they stand up to abrasion and give me the stretch I am looking for when I give 'em a big ole' Texas hookset!

Ten pound XT would be my choice, however- if I could only take one line to the lake

D

·
0 Posts
I like 14 Lb. Fireline with a 12 lb. fuorocarbon leader for fishing a baitcaster and a jig-n-pig, big worm rig, or a crankbait. It has enough strenth to let me hammer those rattlin' jigs into a bony jaw. But if I'm fishing tubes, Senkos or soft plastics w/o having to worry about a lot of cover then I fish a spinning reel w/ 10 lb. Fireline and 8 lb. fluorocarbon leader and a needle sharp hook.

Most of the places I fish for bass don't have a lot of heavy weeds or timber or stuff they can wrap me up in, or I would go heavier. Purely a matter of personal preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts