is a failure to identify....

Help please.

I think they are...

1. Small mouth
2. Small mouth
3. Blue gill
4. Blue gill
5. Small mouth

Any help of confirming or denying would be appreciated.

Have been out trying to expand my species caught on the long rod.

Caught small mouths on spinning gear years ago (and fly rod in Arkansas) but they were outta of a river and bigger than these(if that is what these 1,2,5 are) but I remember the ones outta the river were much "greener" looking.

THANKS

·
Registered
676 Posts
3 largemouth bass & 2 bluegill. That white fly is a good one. I've been catching some decent bass on a similar white jig fly as well as a chartreuse one without the curly tail.

I was going to post a separate thread on this but I highly recommend the following books:

Peterson Field Guides: Freshwater Fishes
Fish of Colorado Field Guide

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Largemouth? Really?

Well that makes them a first and PB!
I have never caught a bucket mouth before! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I am very excited.

And thanks for the book referral.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Largemouth? Really?

Well that makes them a first and PB!
I have never caught a bucket mouth before! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I am very excited.

And thanks for the book referral.
Yep, 100 % LMB. Congrats on a new species, always fun no matter the size. There's always a small chance that they could be spotted bass, depending on where you catch them. The difference would be harder to tell when they are that small. Definitely not smallmouth though. I don't have any good baby smallie pics handy but here are a few recent ones for comparison:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thought this one could have been a LMB cuz it looked different than the other two but I had no science or knowledge to back it up.

I just think it is awesome that I have now caught Bucket mouths and on the fly to boot! (I never caught LMB's on spinning gear as far as I can remember.)

PS

the white fly is a White Muddy Buddy. One of my fav's for trout and now for Bucket Mouths! :tongue:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to post a separate thread on this but I highly recommend the following books:

Peterson Field Guides: Freshwater Fishes
Fish of Colorado Field Guide
Ordered it today!

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well one thing is for sure and that is we all agree they are FISH!

I know I have seen some decent sized "bass" in this pond that will go 15-maybe 18 inches. I just have to figure a way to get them from all the structure they hang out in without spooking them with the cast and hanging up on the structure. Hmmm....

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
#1 is the only puzzling one to me. Other than that, you got gills and LMB.

There are no green sunfish in those pix.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am confused as to why photos stopped showing up on my feed. Any answers?

I would love to play name that fish.
I have that same prob with some posters pics like Hobie's. Can't see his pics.???? (And not every time but more than I can view them.)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy crap, CFLurker fishes! All small, but kudos on catching a few.
Just can't lurk ALL the time. :biggrin1:

I actually put in over 120 days last year on the water.

I have just under 50 so far this year.

And THANKS for pointing out that they are all small.....or do I have HUGE hands???? :biggrin1:>:D:p

Makes you wonder???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts