Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take to produce crappie this size consistently in Colorado lakes?

The smaller fish is 12" the big one weighed 3.06 lbs.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should've posted this in the out of state side. Just trying to get some ideas of why our crappie don't reach this size often. This lake produces tons of 2 lb fish.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Along with less flucttuations of water levels, Lower elavations , higher oxygen levels, more consistent water temps, less volitile seasons, less fluctuations in algea levels.
Colorado would have to have more similar of a climate as the Midwest and down south.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I caught a 17 inch 3 lber out of John Martin over 10 years ago off the dam...so you need a consistantly full lake, a shad food base and an enforced 12 inch minimum size limit for keeping crappies...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Should've posted this in the out of state side. Just trying to get some ideas of why our crappie don't reach this size often. This lake produces tons of 2 lb fish.
I have a feeling I know what lake this is.... And if it's the one I'm thinking of, it kinda disproves the other comments above. No offense fellas.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I know somebody going here in a week...heard they had a tourney and the winning bag limit for 7 fish was just shy of 21 pounds...here is a kink to one of the guide sites where they talk about 4 lb crappies...

http://www.grenadalakecharters.com/index.html

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
while we don't get those consistently, we have plenty of huge crappie waters... just need to learn them. I'll send you to the crappie master when you're ready. I had one day where I caught 3 fish over 16", none over 17" but they were great fish. This year, we will have better crappie in several lakes than we have the past 3-4 years... but next year will be amazing. What you really need to do is blow off the crappie and go for the whtie bass.. bigger fish that eat better IMO.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow must be eating white bass while watching that stellar denver nba team...better than crappie...a side of lake trout too?...lol

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
my son and I caught limits of 12-17 inch crappies out of p-lo in the 90s when we had several years of consistent water, it may be coming back in a year or so, we have had 3 years of good water at spawning time and it looks like this year might be good if they don't screw it up wjth a big draw down

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Used to catch 16"ers out of Nee Grande and Nee Noshe back in the day when they had consistent water.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Wow must be eating white bass while watching that stellar denver nba team...better than crappie...a side of lake trout too?...lol
Baaaahahahahahaha! I figured I would get a reaction, just not from you Z! Crappie is fish for folks who really don't like fish! Don't get me wrong, I eat em and dig it, but they are like Tilapia (only slightly less disgusting). The meat is rather flavorless and it's super soft with little texture. The white bass are bigger, firmer meat and have better flavor IMO. It's not in any way a nasty fish taste, but rather a more meaty flavor. I know you love meat Z, give em a chance!

Crappie are def hit and miss in the past 10 or so years... From 95-2002 or so, I had them so dialed in it was just a matter of going... hasn't been like that for a while. Fortunately, John Martin will have the most obnoxious population of white bass in state history for a while!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good stuff fellas. I just have found it amazing that while we have decent populations of crappies here in some of our bigger lakes; we don't have the numbers of big fish like some of our neighboring states. But, like many have said our waters fluctuate quite a bit. I do remember the days of big fish and big numbers at P-LO, Nee Noshe and Nee Grande as well as JM. But, the drought did quite a number on those lakes for a few years.

I often wondered why it took so long for the planting of brush piles or refuge in some of the featureless lakes. Most of the crappie lakes I am familiar with where I grew up were some of the bushiest, lure snagging traps on earth. But, they grew huge crappie in large numbers every year. Many of those lakes got drawn down every year as well but somehow seemed to continue to produce.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To the point of stricter regs; one battle at a time!!! We're having enough trouble getting consistent management of some of our other resources:mad:

Don't want to overwhelm the power that be.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Taking that f'n limit down to 10 wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taking that f'n limit down to 10 wouldn't hurt.
For sure. A size limit of 10" with only one over 12" would be a great start.

Saw a post on the dark side that made me sick Jason. Sink full of 12"!!! out of a lake that was just starting to get more big fish growing. Depressing......

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I'm starting to think you just don't like to eat fish, my brother. ???

White bass, as table fare, is top notch when it comes to panfish. I love crappie, but just like Oyey said, they're pretty mild, and tend to be "mushy", even when fried.

Anyway, I agree with the consensus comments. Constant water levels. It can be argued that it works for all species. One of my favorite lakes has been producing some FAT ass fish, when historically they've been fairly skinny. But early on last year and the year before, I noticed large schools of fry in the shallows. Hiding in the weeds and the trees. The fishing for the past 2 seasons there has been pretty exceptional for size of fish. I expect if they keep the water levels up again this year, the same will happen, and the fishing might be even better in the next year. Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts