Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not a fly rode.
spinning reel.

i bought the wife one and it broke its tip right away.

whats a good reel?
i don't wanna pay a left nut either.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you are worried about it breaking go with an ugly stick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing that cost a lot.
but a good nice pole.
don't break to easy.
its my back up pole.

i am a 5 in 1 eagle claw now. with a shakespeare reel.

·
Registered
935 Posts
As a decent general purpose rod, I like to use the 6.5' medium action Ugly Stick Lite. Is not so front heavy as the classic, cheaper ugly stick, and has a nice cork handle with integrated reel seat. Nice to fish with in many different ways with this spinning rod.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinkin of this reel
i mainly high mnt fish. jefferson, 11mile, barker, ect.
trout fish.

i like this : Browning® Fishing Citori Spinning Combo

and

·
Registered
935 Posts
Unless you simply must have light or ultralight gear, the uglystick light medium action combo is nearly perfect for that kind of fishing.  Combo costs about $50.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
or
Pflueger® President®/Extreme? XPS? Combos
Reel features: 10-bearing system, instant anti-reverse, graphite body, and anodized aluminum spool.

Rod features: 60 million modulus Powerwall graphite blank, 3K Carbon Cloth wrap, Grip-Tite? reel seat, and Fuji® Hardloy® Concept guides. Line recovery is in inches per handle turn.

specs for the browning above: Browning® Fishing Citori Spinning Combo

Die-cast aluminum body, anodized aluminum spool, anti-premature bail trip, titanium nitride spool lip and line roller; quality 8-bearing system, Powerlock? Instant Anti-Reverse.
Rod features: These rods deliver the strength, easy handling and "touch" you need, with 46 million psi graphite matrix blanks, Fuji® Alconite® Concept guides, Fuji graphite reel seats, and premium cork handles.

what ones better?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Larry --- the tips will break off any pole (alot harder to break an ugly stick though). The tip is easy to mend. The easiest way is to take it to Sportsman's Warehouse. They have all size tips to match your broken rod. For a few dollars or less your rod will be usable again. You can buy tip repair kits from Wal-Mart to do yourself (it's easy). I order a kit from BPS. It has a few tubes. You just place the tip and your rod together, and hold a lighter under it for a minute.

My favorite rods are Fenwick, but it's the angler that catches the fish, not the rod. Cutthrouts combo sounds decent. I have a four foot ugly stick I use for catching Brooks in tiny streams. I like it.

Good Luck
                   James

Out of the 2 you listed, I'd go w/ the Browning. The anti-premature bail tripping sold me. I hate when I bail trip prematurely!  ::)  JK, but I've heard bad reports on pfluegers. 

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Larry

I like rear drag reels with light line for trout...no fingers out front adjusting a drag on a monster...just my two cents...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Gander Mountain Guide Series rods are very nice and reasonably priced. I notice only a small difference in feel between my Guide Series rod and my GLoomis IMX.

FYI - You can use your 10% Gander Mountain/Colorado Fisherman discount too!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
larryT said:
i like this : Browning® Fishing Citori Spinning Combo
Remember, Browning is now owned by Zebco. Some people would view this with a bit of caution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts