Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am gonna go fishing for trout for the first time using a tube. The smallest tube I could find was a 3.5 in., so I picked up 2 packs of Strike King Blood Tubes. I got one in white and red, and watermelon. Are these to big for trout, and what is a good rig for shore fishing these tubes?
Lindy, Texas, etc...?
Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
For smaller trout 2.5 seems to work best.

The strike king blood tubes are really fat and seem better with a bigger head and for bigger trout (16"+).

For the 2.5 use 1/8-1/4 as long as the water isn't real deep.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think you'll be ok with the 3.5's if your on water that has larger sized fish, as boondock stated 16" and up and they should work really well if you are going for Mac's.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Ok... 2.5 inch for rainbows, and start with 3.5 inch for lakers. Down size if they are being finicky. Its hard to go wrong if you have a selection of wihte, glow, chartreuse, or earthy greens and browns in my opinion.

I like 1/4 oz for smaller baits, and 1/2 oz for bigger baits, up to an oz or more in deep water.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I posted this in another thread the other day and thought it might help you. You can get jigheads that are made for the tubes, they slide into the tube per the pic below.

CastnAway said:
The jig will slide inside to the tube, with the eyelet pushing out at the top and your hook out at the bottom with the dangly's like the photo below.
Good luck, hope you get the big one!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Strike King has a Bitsy tube that works well, I think it's 2.5 in.
White w/ pepper and watermelon have worked for me. Good tube for the fall time of year. Freshwater basics 2.5 in skinny would probably be my best choice for trout this time of year.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Hammer said:
Strike King has a Bitsy tube that works well, I think it's 2.5 in.
White w/ pepper and watermelon have worked for me. Good tube for the fall time of year. Freshwater basics 2.5 in skinny would probably be my best choice for trout this time of year.
2 3/4" on the bitsy tube. Gitzit makes 2.5" ers.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Jigger said:
Do you bait the hook with anything or just fish the tube as is? ???
I just fish the tube as is, or on approved water you can add scent/salt to it. I beleive the action of the tube mimics crawfish, which intices the strike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts