Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didnt want to topic bust on iceintheveins but what is a tip up ....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Tip-ups are great for locating schools of fish for us guys who cant afford electronics on the ice. They way I use to use them is if you know a point has a drop off or some structure change you drill some holes and place the tipups at different levels along the structure change. Once there is a bite and line is taken the flag pops up (like bells for catfishing) and you run over and pull up the tipup.
However in Colorado I cant use this technique as a tipup here is considered a 2nd rod so you can only have 1 tipup.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just to let everyone know, i went fishless on the ice last winter and have only caught one through the ice at boy scout camp one time

with a tipup, once the fish hits, is there a reel or do u just pull it up or what? im determined to become a good icefisherman this year, but i dont want to have to buy all sorts of electronics and stuff

i spent 5 different days at 11 mile last year with no success and one on chatfield where i almost feel through

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i bought a couple of tip ups a couple of years ago and i've only used em a couple of times, tarryall,. i guess i fish a lot of lure only lakes. i don't know what you can really catch other than pike and maybe lakers on tip up's, lakers might be stretching it with as light as they bite.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Since you only get 2 rods in colo,Theres absolutely no way I'm gonna waste one as a tip-up.Piece of junk IMO.Gimme a good ice rod with a decent reel anyday!

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I plan on setting some kind of bait out, I'll just leave the reel on free spool and add a piece of aluminum foil to it, works great and is a lot more fun than hand lineing.

·
Banned
487 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i bought a couple of tip ups a couple of years ago and i've only used em a couple of times, tarryall,.  i guess i fish a lot of lure only lakes. i don't know what you can really catch other than pike and maybe lakers on tip up's, lakers might be stretching it with as light as they bite.
I have used tip ups for lakers and much of the time they don't even hit hard enough to trip the flag on its lightest setting.
Tip ups are the best way to fish for pike and catfish through the ice. I have caught plenty of pike and a few cats on tip ups.
Best way to tip up fish is to bring other anglers with a second rod stamp so you can have several tip ups set out, and to take turns on the tip up hits.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k, so io still want to know, when theflag goes up do u just pull the line up or is there a reel or what? im thinking this might be good for me since im a nooob when it comes to ice fishing

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
you pretty much just grab the line then feel for the fish and set the hook and just start pulling line in unless it's a big fish. usually on the better tip ups they have a small handle on the spool, but it is mainly used for putting line back on the spool after you have caught the fish as there is nothing on there to keep the line even on the spool. i don't think tip up fishing is much fun and you end up killing a lot of the fish(gut hooking) not always but alot of the time.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Just try to pull that fish in by hand when its between 10 and negative 10 degrees! Its brutal,if you wear gloves,the gloves get wet and then become useless.Maybe I just don't get it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the barta way would be sight fishing you know look down the hole and when you see a big one grab it in your teeth!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok well thanks for finally giving me an answer... ;)

welltred barta also shoots geese with arrows, so i dunno about that

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yea and he hunts hogs witha knife

1 - 20 of 23 Posts