Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another open water season is upon. Since my last lure post last year, I have added two jerkbaits to my arsenal: the IMA Flits jerkbait and Jackall Squad Minnow. They fill a couple of good niches. The IMA Flits dives a little deeper than, say, a Husky Jerk. But unlike other deeper diving jerkbaits such as suspending Rogues, they can be pulled up to shallower depths (with the rod tip up) when the lure gets closer to the shore because the lip on the IMA are relatively small. The Jackall Squad Minnow on the other hand dives deep and stays deep. This is a good boat jerkbait. I don't throw it woo much from shore...

I have also added a couple of swimbaits. One of those was recommended by a fellow member, so I will not disclose it. The other one is River2Sea S Waver. A lot of hardcore swimbaiters may dismiss that lure as being "too cheap" to even consider, but it has served its purpose for me.

Speaking of River2Sea, I picked up a Whopper Plopper 130 to try it out. I haven't thrown it yet, but I can't wait for the opportunity to throw some surface water lures.

I am buying fewer lures this year compared to last year. Rapala is out with another Shadow Rap: the Shadow rap Shad. I might pick up one or two just to try. Or I might skip it altogether. Rapala hasn't made a new lure that I must have in recent years.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I have bought nothing new. Going with the same old stuff-

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have bought nothing new. Going with the same old stuff-
Why bother, right? I'm starting to think the same way. Of, course, it's cyclical for me. Next year, I might be on the hunt for new stuff again... :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
I ALWAYS need more swimbaits. I even got some more 8 inchers in the mail last night.

Otherwise, I've added a few variations of the VMC Gliding Jigs. I haven't had a chance to use any of them yet, but it looks like they have a ton of potential for a wide variety of species.

I'm sure I'll add a bunch more through out the season, but that's what I have picked up so far.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Really, I've got many dozens of unopened kastys, unopened blades, and unopened jiggin raps.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Really, I've got many dozens of unopened kastys, unopened blades, and unopened jiggin raps.
Never can tell when a certain color or size might get hard to find. I have a few "extras" of everything as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have added a bit to my tackle boxes over the winter. I grabbed 3 baby bass color Rattlin’ Raps and yesterday added 2 Chrome & Black ones to the collection.
For Christmas I was given a variety of hard baits including a wake bait and one of Academy Sport’s H2O brand shallow runners. I also picked up a few small Strike King buzz baits and an Shallow Running Silent Xcalibur XCS Real Craw. I have always overlooked those Xcalibur baits, but I thought I would give one a try.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
A variety of bass jigs, some new topwater frogs, and the live target sunfish and rat. Also plan to get a few of the shadow rap shads

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew it was both an exaggeration but also figured you had lots of metal.

Never can tell when a certain color or size might get hard to find. I have a few "extras" of everything as well.
Alas, we all do...:D But I do try to minimize having excess idle lures.

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Not much for new lures...but I am searching for a slightly faster sinking jerk I'd anyone has any suggestions

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not much for new lures...but I am searching for a slightly faster sinking jerk I'd anyone has any suggestions
The Duo Realis 120 SP will slowly sink. Add beefier hooks or suspend strips/dots to achieve faster sink rates. There is a slight reduction in the action of the lure as you start adding weight to it. The Flash Pointer 115 also sinks slowly. Under certain situations, I prefer the Flash Pointer to the Duo.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have bought a bunch of panther martins, pistol petes, Rapala X-raps and f9's. All of which are extremely new to me other than the floating minnows. You tube says pretty much a slow retrieve and I'm good. Lol. Gon learn this year.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
One of those was recommended by a fellow member, so I will not disclose it. The other one is River2Sea S Waver. A lot of hardcore swimbaiters may dismiss that lure as being "too cheap" to even consider, but it has served its purpose for me.
Nothing wrong with the S-Waver...

No new toys in my tackle trays - I did have to replace the Bsby Possum but that was just to keep the arsenal fully loaded. Looking at some new 3:16 weed less baits but haven't decided to buy them yet.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing wrong with the S-Waver...

No new toys in my tackle trays - I did have to replace the Bsby Possum but that was just to keep the arsenal fully loaded. Looking at some new 3:16 weed less baits but haven't decided to buy them yet.
Nice bass, Doc! I lost an S Waver in that same color not too ling ago...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts