Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear alot about backtrolling. Im guessing its when you troll backwards, but why. Thats the advantage to normal trolling?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Two main reasons if I remember correctly is the ease for the motor operator to follow depth contours...

The square stern into the waves slows the boat more allowing for a slower trolling speed...

I am sure there are more...but that is all I remember off the top of my head...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
A boat is much easier to control in the wind if you pull it rather than push it. So if you have a transom mounted trolling motor, or no trolling motor at all besides the main motor, you troll backwards so the front of the boat will just trail behind the direction of travel. And as zman mentioned it also slows down the trolling speed which is helpful when trolling with the main motor.

If you try to troll forwards into a head wind or cross wind, the boat will swing in every direction but the way you want to go.

If you have a bow mounted trolling motor, none of this applies. Then you troll forward not backward, and it pulls the boat just like you want it to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Mr. Eagle, have you been hitting Hagler or Lonetree as of late? I've been thinking about giving them a try.

Tipup/Jeff

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Tipup said:
Hey Mr. Eagle, have you been hitting Hagler or Lonetree as of late? I've been thinking about giving them a try.

Tipup/Jeff
Aha! A topic buster!!! :D :D

I stopped at Hagler today (was supposed to be going to the grocery store) and talked with some of the regulars. About 80% open water, nobody was getting any hits, but one guy said he got a 22" rainbow the day before using pink powerbait. I made a few casts with a spinner but didn't raise anything. I have a feeling salmon eggs might be the way to go with the water this cold. Fish 'em about 6 ft. down under a slip bobber, it's just like ice fishing.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
[back on topic! ;D]

Another reason I've heard of in addition to what has already been mentioned is that backtrolling keeps your lines out of the motor's path which helps prevent tangles and other mishaps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boat control, boat control, boat control! Thats basically the most importatnt factor for backtrolling, thats why the the Linder Bros. and Marv Koep made this method so popular in the Late 60's early 70's back in Brainerd, MN. Combined with live bait rigs, jigs, or techniques it is a deadly, precise method of fishing. Thats why so many walleye anglers fish tiller boats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes they are very knowledgable anglers, not bad for a couple of boys from Chicago. They along with the, in-fisherman staff have continued push the envelope over and over again, continuing to change the technology driven, wild world of fishing we live in today.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
As to your query about backtrolling.... I have done it ever since I learned to fish Eyes with my cousin in Minnesota @ 30 years ago. Yes, he fished a LUND with a 50 hp tiller and thats the way we fished to keep on top of the SPOTS, especially in wind.
I fish Chat. a bunch and I'm usually the ONLY guy that backtrolls. Just a personal preference, I suppose, but it works for me! Look for the RED PRO-V with the Honda 75 hp and that would be me.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
does back paddling in my canoe count?

·
Registered
17 Posts
We backtrolled some of the faster moving rivers like the Susitnu in Alaska but there you you would point the boat upstream and use the motors to slow your downstream drift. It was great for catching Kings. I was looking at a jon boat at the boat show that looked like it would be good for backtrolling on the Colorado and Gunnison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts