Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
A boat is much easier to control in the wind if you pull it rather than push it. So if you have a transom mounted trolling motor, or no trolling motor at all besides the main motor, you troll backwards so the front of the boat will just trail behind the direction of travel. And as zman mentioned it also slows down the trolling speed which is helpful when trolling with the main motor.

If you try to troll forwards into a head wind or cross wind, the boat will swing in every direction but the way you want to go.

If you have a bow mounted trolling motor, none of this applies. Then you troll forward not backward, and it pulls the boat just like you want it to.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Tipup said:
Hey Mr. Eagle, have you been hitting Hagler or Lonetree as of late? I've been thinking about giving them a try.

Tipup/Jeff
Aha! A topic buster!!! :D :D

I stopped at Hagler today (was supposed to be going to the grocery store) and talked with some of the regulars. About 80% open water, nobody was getting any hits, but one guy said he got a 22" rainbow the day before using pink powerbait. I made a few casts with a spinner but didn't raise anything. I have a feeling salmon eggs might be the way to go with the water this cold. Fish 'em about 6 ft. down under a slip bobber, it's just like ice fishing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts