Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fished Spinney for years now and I've noticed the average fish size has been dropping off. Don't get me wrong, there's still nice fish to be had, but it seems to me we are catching fewer and fewer "trophy" fish than in the past. It seem to only have cookie cutter 18-20" fish anymore. Does anybody have any input as to why? Are they stocking a different strain fish now? Is it nutrient depletion? Are the pike taking over? Are people keeping their 1 fish over 20"? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Two many people keeping one fish over 20 inches...It's also never been the same since the flows were reduced and all of the cut banks above the lake collapsed.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Two many people keeping one fish over 20 inches...It's also never been the same since the flows were reduced and all of the cut banks above the lake collapsed.
I totally disagree. It is a good size lake with tons of fish stocked.
It doesn't have that new lake effect anymore. It has been "full" of water for 30+ years now. If it was drained and refilled like Antero it would be a trophy lake for 4-5 years.

The troutfags love to blame it on pike though.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
It needs to be drained and refilled. Pike and perch bucket biologists are trash.
Troutfag alert!!!!! :llama:
We have trout everywhere man... A 20" trout isn't RARE in this state.
Yes, the perch can't be helping the filthy trout either. Would blame the perch way way before the pike.
What lakes produce 10lb+ trout semi regularly? Hmmm they all seem to have a top tier predator in them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Troutfag alert!!!!! :llama:
We have trout everywhere man... A 20" trout isn't RARE in this state.
Yes, the perch can't be helping the filthy trout either. Would blame the perch way way before the pike.
What lakes produce 10lb+ trout semi regularly? Hmmm they all seem to have a top tier predator in them.
Agreed. It's not the pike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
@fishhunterdan I agree I have noticed the same thing and been going to the openers semi-regularly for 15 years now.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I totally disagree. It is a good size lake with tons of fish stocked.
It doesn't have that new lake effect anymore. It has been "full" of water for 30+ years now. If it was drained and refilled like Antero it would be a trophy lake for 4-5 years.

The troutfags love to blame it on pike though.

It's more than that. Plenty of bugs in Spinney and the trout that reach 18 to 22 inches are fat and healthy. Just not enough of them growing past that 20 inch mark before going home..I'd also add poor handling during the heat of the summer. Also a large percentage of the large trout in Spinney during the 80's ..early 90's were Browns and Snake River Cutts..not as many of those any more.

The bio for Spinney lives next door to a friend in Denver and definitely believes in the slot limit for pike. And believes there is a place for both large trout and large pike in Spinney.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
People also have called Antero the new lake effect..but it was more the fact that the lake was stocked and closed for two years...the fish in Antero still grow at an astounding rate every year..It's just that they too go home with fishermen before reaching the sizes they could attain. Plenty of food in Antero also. 11 mile..big trout..no new lake effect.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
It's more than that. Plenty of bugs in Spinney and the trout that reach 18 to 22 inches are fat and healthy. Just not enough of them growing past that 20 inch mark before going home..I'd also add poor handling during the heat of the summer. Also a large percentage of the large trout in Spinney during the 80's ..early 90's were Browns and Snake River Cutts..not as many of those any more.

The bio for Spinney lives next door to a friend in Denver and definitely believes in the slot limit for pike. And believes there is a place for both large trout and large pike in Spinney.
I can remember when those big Snake River cuts and browns were the norm! Browns are so much harder to catch than bows! Far superior fish in my mind! Rainbows are lot easier to catch and will always be more popular:mad:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It's the same reason we're all catching a bunch of keeper walleyes now..give it a month and the herd will have been thinned as normal.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
People also have called Antero the new lake effect..but it was more the fact that the lake was stocked and closed for two years...the fish in Antero still grow at an astounding rate every year..It's just that they too go home with fishermen before reaching the sizes they could attain. Plenty of food in Antero also. 11 mile..big trout..no new lake effect.
11 mile a totally different lake. It has everything... Shallow weeds, rock, huge drop offs, is way bigger, 90' of water, koke, not near as many perch, etc....

Antero is over 50% sucker fish now by bio mass as of 2 year ago? Suckers out compete trout for food... Thus not the same grow rate and smaller fish.
Antero is a ghost town compared to 3+ years ago.

One fish over 20" is nothing... 11 mile gets way way more pressure and people keep the hell out of those trout. I see limits all the time, I very rarely see a fish come out of spinney when I fish it.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
So..you really believe the trout lack a food supply in Spinney? And that's why they seem to stall out around 22 inches? I can say that the trout I catch there sure aren't skinny by any means.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
So..you really believe the trout lack a food supply in Spinney? And that's why they seem to stall out around 22 inches?
Something isn't right... It isn't people taking them at 20"
People would catch a 25"+ 8lb+ trout every once and a while or more. I haven't seen a true 8lb trout of spinney in years!
P low has tons more pressure and somehow we have a good number of 10lb plus walleye. Yes its a much bigger lake but tons and tons more pressure day and night winter or summer.

Perch will out compete trout also. Those big fat rainbows you catch in the fall are full of eggs not food. :embarassed:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Those bows are caught at the end of June..and fat..not from being stuffed with eggs.

Big walleyes at Pueblo..the majority are still going to be taken at night. And we all know that the keeper to dinker ratio will go down from about one in four to one in sixty or more by July because of the pressure. I don't see too many belly boaters or tooners taking trout out of Spinney..but it seems as if the groups in boats are always taking their fish home...as do the shore fishers. Just what I've seen.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Whatever the reason..I do miss the "good old days" at Spinney. Some very impressive trout used to come out of that lake.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Maybe this is the reason...Hofer trout Whirling disease resistant.

Trout Cocktails | The Designer Trout of Spinney Mountain Reservoir

"Over the past couple years I have been wondering what happened to the "BIG" fish in Spinney. Now I realize that the Division of Wildlife, in an effort to stop the proliferation of trout eating Northern Pike, has been stocking a strain of fish that max out just under 20 inches. I never knew such a fish existed. I guess with the designer genetic trout of today you can get about anything you want."

http://blog.theflyfisher.com/my_weblog/2008/06/trout-cocktails.html

Since 2009 they've been stocking Hofer X Harrison..which grow to that 22 inch range.

"That truck was the last of several trucks that just stocked 45,000 - twelve inch - Hofer X Harrison Rainbow Trout. These are 3 year old fish from the Rifle Fish Hatchery. We have found that this cross (Hofer X Harrison) grow longer that previous strains stocked. "

1 - 20 of 27 Posts