Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying out my new swimbait setup and casting some lures yesterday in this little retention pond behind my apartment. It's the same spot that I've used to catch creek chubs for bait. First I tried out my bbz1 junior in shad to see how it felt to cast and see how much distance I could achieve. Then I threw on my regular bbz1 in silver fish. I threw it for a while and tried to get a feel for it. It's a sweet lure. I know there are way nicer swibaits out there but I'm new to the whole swimbait deal so I really have a thing for this lure. It's just cool- I really like it and the way it looks in the water. I can't wait to get the mackerel or sardine bbz1 and use it down in San diego for yellowtail and calicos and stuff. It's always fun to pull out lures on the party boats that no one has ever seen. Anyways, I was getting down to the last few casts and as soon as my swimbait hit the water I could feel it get stuck. Up until this point there were several instances where I just let the bait sit on the bottom because I had to undo a backlash and I had no issue getting it back in. I pulled on it slowly and attempted to dislodge it. No luck. Over and over, I pulled to the left, I pulled to the right. I walked down the shore and tried to loosen it up. Nothing worked. I was getting irritated because Ive lost my fair share of lures and flies, especially lately, and this was the last lure I'd want to lose. It's gotta be the most expensive lure I've ever had. I figured I could wade in and get the lure since the water was no more than two feet deep. I cut the line and tied the lure off to a tree and ran back to my house to get my waders. I got my waders on and got in the water. One step, two steps, three steps, good so far. And then about the fourth or fifth step I just sunk in. There was no way I was gonna walk the eighty or so feet to the lure through this mud. By now I was really getting anxious. I NEEDED that lure. Suddenly, an epiphany. My float tube is in the car! But, what if the police saw me in the water? They drive by all the time. I have to go quick. I ran to the car, blew up the tube and got in the water. Because of the shallow water and deep mud, I had to lay on the tube flat with my feet out of the water. So, I pulled myself over to the lure via the 30lb test like a stealthy navy seal crossing the Mekong. I saw the lure. It was buried into a big branch that had fallen in the water. Success! I pulled the lure out and got back to shore. It took some effort but it was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hell yeah!! I swam out last year and got a bbz out of a tree at lake mac, if theres a shot you gotta go for it!! That would of sucked if you lost a swimbait in a randy as pond you were just trying to test the lure in!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I know of someone who took snorkel gear out 2 or 3 times to retrieve a bait.. never found it! And that was a HIGH dollar bait... makes that BBZ seem cheapo!

I haven't done much to retrieve baits but the only painful ones were impossible to get given the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yeah!! I swam out last year and got a bbz out of a tree at lake mac, if theres a shot you gotta go for it!! That would of sucked if you lost a swimbait in a randy as pond you were just trying to test the lure in!
Right? I've climbed trees to get lures too. If I can see it, I'm getting it!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I know of someone who took snorkel gear out 2 or 3 times to retrieve a bait.. never found it! And that was a HIGH dollar bait... makes that BBZ seem cheapo!

I haven't done much to retrieve baits but the only painful ones were impossible to get given the circumstances.
What did he snap the line from the lure? If I was that determined I wouldn't of snapped the line in the first place, atleast tie it to a buoy or something and return. Some guys throw those 200$+ swimbaits I don't think I could bring myself to it, that's just too much money on the end of the line. Unless I was crazy ballin then I would use the most expensive baits I could find :cool:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I was fishing a pond in Red River Gorge KY about 8or so years ago.

I didnt plan on doing much fishing that trip, as it was primarily a relaxation trip with the wife (then girlfriend)

I only had two lures on me and i had brought the old inflatable raft in case we wanted to row around. Decided to take the raft out one morning before she woke up (we were staying in a cabin) and took my two lures with me. Rowed, casted, nothing on the Kastmaster. Switched to a white jig and it was game on... Caught 3 crappie back to back, and then hooked into a biiig LMB. Got it up to the raft and it shook the hook as i was trying to raise it up into the boat. The jig went straight up into the tree i was floating under. Did everything i could to get it out, but it was wrapped.

Cut the line and let it hang while i re-tied the Kasty. Again, not one single nibble.

Decided to try standing up in the raft to get the jig out of the tree... Bad move. I grabbed onto the branch on my tiptoes and the boat started moving away from me...

Held onto the branch as the boat flipped away. The branch cracked and followed me into the water... Phone, wallet, and all.

I held onto the branch and swam back to the raft, untangling my jig. Finally got back in the raft, retied the jig and went back to fishing. About that time it started piss pouring rain, and the fish were spooked or hiding or something. Rowed back to shore, soaked.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Okay... circa 1998... just before a Canadian fly In trip...
My Cousin buys a "Cherry Hell Raiser" Pike lure... about 10" in length.
All red and fuzzy with blades front and rear...
$13.00 + He paid...
We finally get to fishing...
First cast.... Zing.... Snap.
It lodges itself in a tree branch about 20' up in the branches of the tree...
I'm rolling on the floor... hysterically laughing... crying... it WAS funny !!
He says.. 'get on in there, I'm gonna climb up and get it"... Yeah right.
He did. BUT, coming down, a branch snapped and He fell into back into the boat..... face first.....
We patched Him up at the cabin.... and made him drink up...
Thank god, he didn't break a leg or arm...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Last year, also at lake mac, I casted the same bbz I swam for earlier in the year into some branches. I was out on my boat so these were submerged trees, the problem was my trolling motor had died and keeping myself by those trees was an absolute *****. I got myself over to the lure and got it out, the problem was the current was pushing me into the trees. By the time I got the lure there was no way I could start my engine, I was surrounded by branches. To get myself out I would throw my anchor as far as I could and then slowly pull myself out. I was lucky to get 5 feet each time, and by the time I picked the anchor up off the ground and got it back on the boat ready to throw again, I would be back in the trees. Twice I got to the point where I thought I could start the motor in time and both times I was in the tree before I could get it started. Finally I pulled myself about 3 times the distance I did previously and was able to get out of there. Retrieving the lure was the easy part it was getting out!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Dayum! I thought I was the only fool that would wade in to get a lure... You guys are like my brothers from different mothers or something like that. I never took a swim but plenty of wading. Actually, I did swim once but that was to try to get my wife's cousin's lure. It was a failure. I wouldn't do it for my own lure. I don't fish anything over $20 anyway.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Dayum! I thought I was the only fool that would wade in to get a lure... You guys are like my brothers from different mothers or something like that. I never took a swim but plenty of wading. Actually, I did swim once but that was to try to get my wife's cousin's lure. It was a failure. I wouldn't do it for my own lure. I don't fish anything over $20 anyway.
**** ill get wet for a $15 lure, I lose enough of them where those no chance, if theres a chance I want it back!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Back when I was much younger one of my buddies got a lighted bobber when they first started coming out. I managed to snap it off up at Horsetooth in late October middle of the night and swam out in my undies to fetch it. Was so cold that on the way back in I had to flip over on my back and just float in.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Stripped naked and waded up to my chest into a lake in the Winds' at 11,400 ft to get a Brown Trout Panther Martin. It was the bomb that day and it was the last one I had and we still had 2 days of fishing left to go. Water temp had to be 45F.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
When I was King salmon fishing the Talkeetna river in Ak, I lost several rigs on a snag, after the 3rd time I told my brother, I'm swimming out to get it, he tied a rope around me and I went out neck deep and could feel it with my feet, dove down and got ahold of it and drug it in. I've got some pictures somewhere but it was about a 5' tall stump that looked like a Christmas tree full of Spin and glows. My nephews spent the whole winter untangling rigs off it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Snagged a swimbait on something immovable late one night, about 1 h from home. Cut my line, tied it off to a rock that was just underwater, and then drove home. Loaded the pontoon boat, drove back, and launched. It took me about 20 minutes to find the rock and retrieve the lure. I then fished for another hour before I drove home again.

A similar event happened one day when I was fishing a well-known Denver lake with a rare swimbait (I can't help but throw them - I don't buy them to put them on the shelf). My 4-year old was with me (he'd tell me where to cast and he'd reel the lure, and occasional fish, in). On one cast the lure snagged a submerged tree and no amount of tugging or under-the-breath-cursing would pop it free. My son was very upset about possibly losing the lure, and through tears he asked me to drive home and get the pontoon boat to retrieve it. It took 1.5 h to drive home, another 0.5 h to get him settled with my wife, and then a crawl through Denver evening traffic to get back. I only had about 20 min. before the lake closed so I rowed like a fiend, found the submerged tree, and, fortunately, the slightly submerged lure, and got back to the ramp with just enough time to spare. Another 1.5 h to get home, but I then took the hooks off the lure and left it on my son's floor. The smile on his face as he bounced into my bedroom the next morning made it worth it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts