Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished Dillon before but have been wanting to go lately pretty bad. The reservoir is full and is the hot spot on the DOW site. What species of fish exist there? From what I understand there is rainbows, browns, kokes, macks, and walleye. Can someone please help me out. Good shore location would be appreciated too such as east side, fish points etc....Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Give u a good spot when u get on the dam go right
where the dam stops in that corner fish there
Use an orange #5 jointed rapala. Put a wheight about 8 inches above it so it sinks. Cast up the dam and let it sink.
U should get some nice kokanees me and my dad did that last year. Just anything orange should work for kokees and Crawlers work best for bows.

·
Registered
391 Posts
About three years ago i started fishing Dillon Res.There is never a fishing report on it and its huge so i wasnt sure how it would be.I fished the Blue river inlet and Ten Mile inlet and wow!!!In one day i caught two 20"rainbows,and many smaller,18"brown,and several cutthroat to 15".After that i kept going up till ice over.Then the drought brought the water waaaayyy down and i havent had the same luck since.I trolled it right after ice off last year and caught a big brown 22" but that was about it.For only an hour away its worth heading back up and see if the fishin has improved.

lyn

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
dillon isn't even close to the fishery it used to be.

Cons:It has mostly stocker-sized rainbows. It also has a few larger rainbows (uncommon), a few big browns, a few cutthroats, supposedly a few splake, a few arctic char, and small kokanee. I wouldn't say it has that good of fishing for anything, ever since mysis were introduced that lake has gone downhill. The reason being the mysis eat the same plankton kokanee do and the kokanee were the rainbows and other trouts' baitfish. The kokanee are not as numerous or as large as they used to be.

Pros: It is never too crowded. It has good scenery. The blue river below the dam has some monster bows. You can catch some pretty, but little rainbows.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
The map didnt come up right . What I meant is where swan mountain rd. meets highway 6. There is a restroom there. fish below it. It is right before it runs into snake river. Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts