Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I went to Bonny years ago, and we made a side trip to Stalker pond, North of Bonny, just west of Wray.......We got the hell outta there when the weather went bad and on the way back to Bonny we got into a nasty storm. Hail. Sideways rain. Tornados. I've never seen the sky that green before in my life. It was quite nervewracking!

You guys?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I don't think this was worst as far as waves/rough water, but it was the most painful!

Hail the size of golfballs on Glendo.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
MAY 2002
--COOL AND WET WITH THE AVERAGE MONTHLY TEMPERATURE 2.2
DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. PRECIPITATION OF 2.67 INCHES WAS WELL
ABOVE THE NORMAL OF 1.25 INCHES. ON THE 3RD AND 4TH WET,
HEAVY SNOWFALL OF 50 INCHES AT SALIDA, AROUND 20 INCHES AT
WESTCLIFFE AND 19 INCHES AT BUENA VISTA CAUSED MUCH DAMAGE.
A PORTION OF HIGHWAY 50 BETWEEN TEXAS CREEK AND PARKDALE WAS
CLOSED FOR A WEEK TO CLEAR A MUDSLIDE OFF THE HIGHWAY AND
REPAIR IT. THUNDERSTORM WINDS WITH GUSTS TO 86 MPH ON THE
20TH DID CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE IN PUEBLO WEST AND AT PUEBLO
RESERVOIR. BOATS WERE OVERTURNED AND 2 MARINAS DAMAGED.

We managed to beach the boat by the south shore marina. If I remember correctly, the temperature dropped from about 85 to 45 in a matter of less than an hour. Ill have to dig up the story. I kept a newspaper clipping. We helped a guy and his wife flee their sinking bass boat and covered them in tablecloths in the "Prairie Princess" boat. Looked on the verge of hypothermia. Was a crazy, crazy day.

W

·
0 Posts
hobiecat said:
I didn't have the heart to tell him about that buoy...
That... is classic!

The worst storm I was in was at Seminoe Res. circa 1992 We had to plow into 30 mile an hour winds and rain from the Bow River arm to the main ramp on the W side of the res. It was a long, cold, and wet haul. The heavy winds didn't start for a while though. ;)

I'm just not a big risk-taker on the water, when I'm in charge that is.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Was at BIG MAC around 15 years ago, out of Van's Lakeview Marina...... Was about 1/2 mile from the Dam on the North side of the lake.... by MYSELF! saw the BLACK clouds coming from the West and figured it was gonna be bad....

Luckily, just as I got the boat on the trailer, the storm hit.... 6-8 ft rollers, got up to the campground and watched tents and lawn chairs sailing past me......went over to the Gen. store and was sitting with Van having a cold one, watching the hail, when I realized my Buddies were still out in a 21' Bayliner..... saw them roll by and they tried to tie off on Vans boat ramp..... that was a NO-NO... and he was screaming at them to get off of the dock. Anyhow, they ended up in the swampy are just North of there, swamped, but intact..... they just rode it out and pumped out the water and debris and were okay.
We later heard that two kids had drowned, who were running waverunners and got caught up in the Storm..... BUMMER! They found the waverunners, but no kids....
Got a SEMINOE story too, but we'll save it for another time.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
This breaks with the boating theme, but several years ago my cousin and I climbed up to a lake at 12,500 feet to fish for cutthroats on a fine early-August day. I'd been there before, but he hadn't. We took a small tent and sleeping bags so that we could make a multi-day trip out of it and do some above timberline hiking.

After catching a couple for dinner, we retired into the tent at dark, and then a summer snowstorm hit. The wind and snow was bad, but the lightning and thunder was much, much worse. Ear-splitting, and in very close proximity all around us. We weren't sure we were going to make it through the night.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
Was at BIG MAC around 15 years ago, out of Van's Lakeview Marina...... Was about 1/2 mile from the Dam on the North side of the lake.... by MYSELF! saw the BLACK clouds coming from the West and figured it was gonna be bad....

Luckily, just as I got the boat on the trailer, the storm hit.... 6-8 ft rollers, got up to the campground and watched tents and lawn chairs sailing past me......went over to the Gen. store and was sitting with Van having a cold one, watching the hail, when I realized my Buddies were still out in a 21' Bayliner..... saw them roll by and they tried to tie off on Vans boat ramp..... that was a NO-NO... and he was screaming at them to get off of the dock. Anyhow, they ended up in the swampy are just North of there, swamped, but intact..... they just rode it out and pumped out the water and debris and were okay.
We later heard that two kids had drowned, who were running waverunners and got caught up in the Storm..... BUMMER! They found the waverunners, but no kids....
Why did Van kick guys off his dock in a situation like that.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
the worst here was a ice trip to 11 mile, bad wind and found out that the chill factor was 82 below, could only take it for an hour.

worst ever was in cal. got caught out in waves that were running 14-16 feet my boat was a 14 foot closed bow with twin 18 hp johnsons. you would go 3/4 of the way up a wave then it would break over the bow and up the windshield and land on the motors. after 3/4 of a mile i got into calmer water and looked back and saw water running out of the boat over the transom. i held the bow high while my dad went back and pulled the plug and after 1/2 hour all the water had run out. tied the boat up to the dock and went in and had hot clam chowder and coffee, then went and put the boat on the trailor

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Most bad storm fishing stories have to do with wind and waves. But I was fishing on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota one windless day and had lightning strike the water real close to me and while I was trying to get my hearing back, I realized that I was the highest thing on the water, and in an aluminum boat, to boot. I headed in to the dock so fast, that only about the back two feet of the boat were touching the water. I learned to keep a better eye on the weather after that.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

I know, I know, it's ancient news by now but I haven't beaten that storm yet! :)

Other nasties have been Lucerne Bay in Flaming Gorge, most of the dents in my boat today are from that storm and slamming up against the dock, but I've also been in some cold waves on Elevenmile, very windy days on Jackson and some prop choppers in Arapaho Bay on Granby. Truly, a person learns a lot about boat control from each one of these storms...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mid 80's
South shore - Lake of the Woods Minnesota
Two of us were out from the Mn/Canadian islands about a 3/4 mile in a 16ft Lund and a 25HP Evinrude.

Fishing was great with a north wind for a perfect in-shore walleye drift

The wind came up in front of a storm. Rollers got about 4 ft in a matter of minutes.
The wind was coming across the lake over 50 miles of water.

By the time we decided to head in - it was too late to just buzz in. The rollers got to be 6 footers with caps.

It took us about an hour to make it to the gap between the islands as those waves bounced us like a cork. We had just a couple hundred yards of water between the islands or the waves would pound us into the shore.

Never forgot that one...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
years ago we were fishing a tourny at nee noshee when they set off the siren of a tornado sighting and the waves came up to 4 feet. we ran across the lake to the weighin. after about 15 min we were done with the weigh in and were looking for my friend that had been fishing neer us and couldnt find him. so i got the binos out and spotted his boat in the brush on the other side, so back across we went and worked our way into the brush. his big motor wouldn't start and he killed the trolling motor in the storm. we hooked on to him and towed him across the lake. the storm sunk 3 boats and beached 1 swamping it and took the top off a pontoon. all i got was wet and a sore back

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
last summer in nebraska there were tornado warnings every town i went through than when i was in the middle of nowhere my truck got hit hard by hail i was so scared but all i could do is keep driving

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Great stories guys! The worst one that I can remember for myself was a time down at Nichols reservoir. I was with my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and a storm blew in. I had hiked to the furthest cove at the back of the lake and was pinned down in Nichols as it is a 2.5 mile hike from where I was to get out. If any of you fish Nichols, than you understand it is down in a bowl and storms can surprise you down there! Anyways, the lightning became very intense and I decided my best option was to hide uner a rock if I could. I found a somewhat sheltering rock to hide under and it offered a little protection for the girlfriend and myself. Well, all of a sudden I decided to look up and I discovered two trees directly above the rock that had been sawed off from lightning!!! :eek: The girlfriend kinda started freaking out at this point! I told her that they always say lightning doesn't strick the same place twice, right? We both were nervous the rest of the time under that rock until the lightning left the area! It did leave and I'm still alive to tell about the experience. I guess I didn't scare the girl enough because she ended up marrying me.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Trout said:
IFSHDOU2? said:

Why did Van kick guys off his dock in a situation like that.

He didn't want his dock ripped out by the Bayliner being tied to it.... the whole time he was mumbling that " those guys know better than this" those guys know better than this!"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As a kid doing some catfishing in a river by Oklahoma City we heard the sirens go off for a tornado we just as we started looking around we notice a funnel cloud touch down not to far from us! My dad and my uncle freaked out quickly grabbing us kids/fishing poles/ gear and throwing it in the back of the truck. To this day I still have the image of me looking out the window and the tornado making its way towards us as multiple lines wave in the wind as we sped on down a dirt road to get the heck out of dodge.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have got struck by lightning in the driveway of my own house. I dont even have to go fishing to get my ass kicked by mo nature. Good stories boys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts